OMAHA, Neb. - The Creighton women's tennis team defeated Bradley 5-2 in its final home match of the season on Senior Day at the Hanscom Tennis Center.
Creighton (8-9, 1-3 MVC) claimed its first win in the conference over visiting Bradley (8-12, 0-4 MVC) as CU senior Anna Kirshenbaum closed out her career on the courts with a convincing singles win.
The Creighton sophomore duo of Jennie Hartjes and Amanda Noonan blanked the Braves’ Kennedy Scott and Carly Miles at No. 2 doubles to get the Bluejays started. On court three, CU freshman Sam Anderson and sophomore Liz Vermillion teamed up to edge Elizabeth Przystawsk and Meredith McDonaugh of BU in extra games at 9-8 to claim the doubles point for Creighton.
Bradley claimed the final doubles at the top spot when the Braves’ tandem of Adele Henke and Sarah Rodefeld slipped past CU’s Kirshenbaum and junior Analese Snyder 8-7.
Kirshenbaum shined at No. 3 singles for Creighton as the first one off the court. The senior rolled to a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Miles. Snyder quickly followed with another decisive Bluejay victory on court two with a 6-2, 6-0 decision over Rodefeld.
With Creighton up 3-0, Bradley got on the scoreboard with a win at No. 4 singles. BU’s Cassia Wojtalik took the first set in a tiebreaker before claiming the second set 6-1 for a team point.
Hartjes clinched the team match point for Creighton at the top spot. Hartjes toppled Henke 6-4, 6-2 on court one to put Creighton up 4-1.
CU sophomore Taylor Koehrson recorded the final point for the Jays on court six with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over McDonaugh. Bradley’s Przystawsk won the final point on court five in three sets, knocking off Vermillion with a 7-6, 2-6, 1-0 victory.
Creighton completes the regular season with a pair of MVC road matches next weekend at Southern Illinois and Evansville.
Bradley vs. Creighton
Apr 13, 2013 at Hanscom Tennis Center
Creighton 5, Bradley 2
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Adele Henke (BU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Analese Snyder (CU) def. Sarah Rodefeld (BU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) def. Carly Miles (BU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Cassia Wojtalik (BU) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 7-6, 6-1
5. Elizabeth Przystawsk (BU) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 7-6, 2-6, 10-5 (10-5)
6. Taylor Koehrson (CU) def. Meredith McDonaugh (BU) 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 1*, 6, 5
1. Henke/Rodefeld (BU) def. Kirshenbaum/Snyder (CU) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Hartjes/Noonan (CU) def. Kennedy Scott/Miles (BU) 8-0
3. Sam Anderson/Vermillion (CU) def. Przystawsk/McDonaugh (BU) 9-8 (10-8)
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1