OMAHA, Neb. - The Creighton men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to UMKC Tuesday night at the Hanscom Tennis Center.
Creighton (7-7) claimed one singles match for a point against UMKC (9-10). UMKC earned the doubles point and later claimed five of six singles matches.
Freshman Anthony Rauschenbach claimed the Bluejays’ point at No. 6 singles in a three-set victory. He won set one 6-4 before UMKC’s Tim Akhmedov claimed the second stanza 6-2 to force a deciding set. Rauschenbach won the final set by a third-set tiebreaker score of 7-5 to clinch the 7-6 set three win and a team point for Creighton.
CU seniors Sean Mathison and Ryan Norman also went the distance of three sets in their matches at the top of the lineup. At No. 1 singles, Mathison doubled up Nino Hasandedic of UMKC 6-3 in set one, but the Kangaroo fought back to claim each of the final two sets at 6-4. On court two, Norman dropped set one to Abdul Alawadhi 6-2 before bouncing back to win the second set 6-4. In the deciding set Alawadhi claimed the match at 6-2.
UMKC claimed the other three singles matches in straight sets.
Creighton returns to action this weekend for a rescheduled Missouri Valley Conference match at Southern Illinois on Friday beginning at 1 p.m. CT.
UMKC vs. Creighton
Apr 9, 2013 at Hanscom Tennis Center
UMKC 6, Creighton 1
1. Nino Hasandedic (UMKC) def. Sean Mathison (CU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Abdul Alawadhi (UMKC) def. Ryan Norman (CU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
3. Grant Fleming (UMKC) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Tomas Patino (UMKC) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Andrey Smirnov (UMKC) def. Brandon Lee (CU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Anthony Rauschenbach (CU) def. Tim Akhmedov (UMKC) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5)
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6, 3*, 2, 1
1. Grant Fleming/Tomas Patino (UMKC) def. Ryan Norman/Nick Thompson (CU) 8-3
2. Abdul Alawadhi/David Heckler (UMKC) def. Sean Mathison/Brandon Lee (CU) 7-6 (7-3)
3. Nino Hasandedic/Tim Akhmedov (UMKC) def. Elliott Baker/August Nysted (CU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2