LINCOLN, Neb. -
The Creighton women's tennis team fell 7-0 to No. 64 Wyoming at the Abbott
Sports Complex in Lincoln Friday afternoon.
Sophomore Jennie Hartjes led Creighton (1-5) at the No.1
singles spot. She claimed the first set from Wyoming's Veronica Popovici before
dropping a three-set match in the final match of the day.
Wyoming (3-2), standing at No. 64 in the latest
Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings, won the doubles point and
followed by sweeping five singles matches in straight sets before Popovici
clinched the match on singles court one.
The Cowgirl duo of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova
opened the day with an 8-1 win over CU senior Anna Kirshenbaum and junior
Analese Snyder at No. 1 doubles. Wyoming swept the other two doubles matches by
a score of 8-4. Hartjes and freshman partner Sam Anderson fell to Wyoming's
Jessica Parizheron and Silviya Zhelyzkova on doubles court two. The pairing of
Creighton sophomores Amanda Noonan and Liz Vermillion came up short against
Christa Gecheva and Alma Espinosa of UW on doubles court three.
Prior to Hartjes' result on singles court one, Snyder
captured seven games on court two in a setback to Synkova. Noonan and
Vermillion each claimed six games in their singles matches on courts four and
Creighton returns home to face South Dakota at noon on
Wednesday at the Hanscom Tennis Center.
No. 64 Wyoming vs.
Feb 22, 2013 at Lincoln,
(Abbott Sports Complex)
No. 64 Wyoming 7, Creighton 0
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 2-6,
2. Simona Synkova (WY) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) 6-3,
4. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Silviya Zhelyzkova (WY) def. Sam Anderson (CU) 6-2,
6. Alma Espinosa (WY) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 4, 3, 2, 6, 1
1. Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. Kirshenbaum/Snyder (CU) 8-1
2. Parizher/Zhelyzkova (WY) def. Hartjes/Anderson (CU)
3. Gecheva/Espinosa (WY) def. Noonan/Vermillion (CU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2