OMAHA, Neb. (Feb.
17) - The Creighton women's tennis team fell 6-1 to Illinois State in its
Missouri Valley Conference opener at the Hanscom Tennis Center Sunday afternoon.
Sophomore Jennie Hartjes led Creighton (1-3, 0-1 MVC) at
the No. 1 singles spot with a straight-set win to claim a point for the
Bluejays. Illinois State (5-2, 1-0 MVC) jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by
sweeping the doubles matches.
The Redbird duo of Kadi Ilves and Emmie Marx won an 8-2
decision over CU senior Anna Kirshenbaum and freshman partner Sam Anderson on
court one. In No. 2 doubles ISU's Phyllis Tigges and Stefanie Youngberg claimed
the doubles point with an 8-3 win over the Creighton tandem of Hartjes and
freshman Karlin Naslund. At the No. 3 spot the Bluejay pairing of sophomore
Amanda Noonan and junior Analese Snyder fell 8-5 to Carolina Abello and Heather
Nisbet of Illinois State.
Hartjes was the first off the court in singles with an
easy 6-1, 6-1 win on court one over Tigges. Kirshenbaum was the final Bluejay
on the court in a three-set match decided by a superbreaker on court three.
Kirshenbaum won the first set 6-4 but Ilves fought back in the second stanza to
win 6-3 and force a third set. The Redbird claimed the breaker at 10-4 to
conclude the match.
Creighton sophomore Liz Vermillion claimed four games in
each set in a 6-4, 6-4 setback on court five to Youngberg. At No. 4 singles, Noonan
pushed Abello to extra games in set one before dropping it 7-5. The visitor
closed out the match in the second at 6-2.
Naslund saw her first singles action of the season in a
6-1, 6-4 downfall on court six to ISU's Gabby Phillips. Snyder dropped to 1-3
at No. 2 singles after a 6-2, 6-2 setback to Marx.
Creighton concludes its three-match home stand with a
non-conference contest against Arkansas-Little Rock at noon Tuesday on the
Hanscom Tennis Center courts.
Illinois State vs.
Feb 17, 2013 at
Illinois State 6, Creighton 1
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Phyllis Tigges (ILS) 6-1, 6-1
2. Emmie Marx (ILS) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Kadi Ilves (ILS) def. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) 4-6, 6-3,
4. Carolina Abello (ILS) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Stefanie Youngberg (ILS) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 6-4,
6. Gabby Phillips (ILS) def. Karlin
Naslund (CU) 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 6, 5, 4, 3
1. Kadi Ilves/Emmie Marx (ILS) def. Anna Kirshenbaum/Sam
Anderson (CU) 8-2
2. Phyllis Tigges/Stefanie Youngberg (ILS) def. Jennie
Hartjes/Karlin Naslund (CU) 8-3
3. Carolina Abello/Heather Nisbet (ILS)
def. Analese Snyder/Amanda Noonan (CU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3