IOWA CITY, Iowa (Feb.
9) - The Creighton women's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision at Big Ten
foe Iowa Friday evening in Iowa City.
The match marked the second straight Big Ten opponent that
the Bluejays (0-2) battled on the road to begin the season. The host Hawkeyes
jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after claiming the doubles point.
On court two, the Creighton tandem of sophomore Jennie
Hartjes and sophomore Liz Vermillion dropped an 8-1 decision to Iowa's Katie
Zordani and Christina Harazin. At No. 1 doubles, CU senior Anna Kirshenbaum and
freshman Sam Anderson also fell 8-1 to the Hawkeye duo of Ruth Seaborne and Morven
With the doubles point clinched, action stopped on doubles
court three with the CU team of sophomore Amanda Noonan and junior Analese
Snyder trailing Iowa's Annette Dohanics and Caitlin Hindmarsh at 6-3.
The Hawkeyes (2-1) carried the momentum into the singles
competition where Iowa swept all six matches in straight sets.
Three Jays won five games in their singles match including
Snyder in the No. 2 slot, Noonan at No. 4 singles and Taylor Koehrsen on court No. 6.
Creighton hosts its first match at home next weekend against
North Dakota on Feb. 16 at 6 p.m.
Creighton at Iowa
Feb 08, 2013 at Iowa
(Hawkeye Tennis and
Iowa 7, Creighton 0
1. Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) def. Sam Anderson (CU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Taylor Koehrsen (CU) 6-2,
Order of finish: Not
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (IOWA) def. Kirshenbaum/Anderson (CU)
2. Zordani/Harazin (IOWA) def. Hartjes/Elizabeth Vermillion
(IOWA) vs. Snyder/Noonan (CU) 6-3, unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 1