OMAHA, Neb. (Feb. 2)
- The Creighton men's tennis team opened the 2013 spring dual match season
with a 5-2 victory over Western Illinois at the Hanscom Tennis Center Saturday
The Bluejays (1-0) won their third consecutive season
opener and third straight home opener with the defeat of the Leathernecks (2-5).
Creighton jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by claiming the doubles point before
winning four singles matches to secure the win.
At No. 2 doubles CU senior Sean Mathison and freshman
Nick Thompson got out to a quick start with an 8-3 victory over WIU's Brandon
Meeker and Ben Yue. On court one the Leatherneck duo of Christoph Haertel and Bradley
Holt edged the Creighton senior tandem of Billy Paluch and Ryan Norman 8-6. But
the Bluejay pairing of sophomore Elliot Baker and freshman Brandon Lee clinched
the team doubles point for Creighton with an 8-6 victory on court three over
WIU's Max Cederkall and Mitch Granger.
In singles action four Bluejays took home victories.
Freshman Quinn Dippel earned his first career win as a Bluejay by blanking
Chris Bunch of WIU 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 6 slot. Currently ranked No. 91 in the
latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings, Paluch rolled to a
6-1, 6-3 victory over Haertel at the top of the lineup.
On court three Mathison blanked Yue 6-0 in the first
stanza before doubling up the Leatherneck 6-3 in set two for the win. Baker
dropped his first set 6-4 to Cederkall at No. 5 singles but bounced back to
even the match with a 6-3 set two win. In the decisive superbreaker, Baker
rolled to a 10-3 victory to claim a point.
Western Illinois claimed two points as Holt topped Norman
6-4, 6-3 at the No. 2 spot while Granger defeated Lee 6-2, 7-5 on court four.
Creighton travels to Iowa City to take on Big Ten foe Iowa
in its first road match next Saturday, Feb. 9 at 9:30 a.m.
Western Illinois vs.
Feb 02, 2013 at
5, Western Illinois 2
1. No. 91 Billy Paluch (CU) def. Christoph Haertel (WIU)
2. Bradley Holt (WIU) def. Ryan Norman (CU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Sean Mathison (CU) def. Ben Yue (WIU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Mitch Granger (WIU) def. Brandon Lee (CU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Elliott Baker (CU) def. Max Cederkall (WIU) 4-6, 6-3,
6. Quinn Dippel (CU) def. Chris Bunch (WIU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Haertel/Holt (WIU) def. Norman/Paluch (CU) 8-6
2. Mathison/Nick Thompson (CU) def. Brandon Meeker/Yue
3. Baker/Lee (CU) def. Cederkall/Granger (WIU) 8-6