KANSAS CITY – The Creighton women’s tennis team fell to UMKC 4-3 in its second consecutive road match to begin the season at the Carriage Club on Friday evening.
UMKC (3-0) came from behind in singles action to edge Creighton (0-2). The Kangaroos won the final four singles matches of the day to complete the comeback.
Creighton won the doubles point by taking two out of three matches to open play. On court one, CU junior Jennie Hartjes and freshman Katherine Nelsen fell 6-4 to UMKC’s Dimitra Stavrianakou and Linda Ammar Mouhoub.
CU senior Analese Snyder and junior Amanda Noonan teamed up for a 6-2 victory on court two over Maddie Schulte and Gaby Pintos of Kansas City. Creighton sophomore Sam Anderson and junior Liz Vermillion stopped the Kangaroo tandem of Raquel Argenal and Amelie Amsallem6-4 on court three to claim the point.
Hartjes extended the Jays’ lead to 2-0 with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Stavrianakou at the top spot. Nelsen helped Creighton move ahead to 3-0 after knocking off Amsallem at No. 3 singles, 6-3, 7-6.
UMKC then rallied to sweep the other four singles matches, leading to the come-from-behind victory.
Vermillion fell 6-2, 6-4 to Schulte at No. 4 singles. Snyder lost a tight two-setter 7-5, 7-5 to Argenal on court two. Noonan dropped a tight match 7-6, 6-4 to UMKC’s Mariam Kurasbediani to even the match at 3-3.
At No. 6 singles, Kangaroo senior Pintos won a tight three-set match over CU sophomore Karlin Naslund. Pintos claimed set one 6-2 before Naslund tied the match with a 7-5 victory in the second stanza. In the third-set superbreaker Pintos held on for a 10-4 win to claim the team match point.
The Creighton women’s tennis team will stay in Kansas City for a neutral-site match against former MVC rival Wichita State at 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
Creighton at Kansas City
Jan. 31, 2014 at Kansas City, Mo.
Kansas City 4, Creighton 3
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Dimitra Stavrianakou (UMKC) 7-5, 6-1
2. Raquel Argenal (UMKC) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 7-5, 7-5
3. Katherine Nelsen (CU) def. Amelie Amsallem (UMKC) 6-3, 7-6
4. Maddie Schulte (UMKC) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Mariam Kurasbediani (UMKC) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 7-6, 6-4
6. Gaby Pintos (UMKC) def. Karlin Naslund (CU) 6-2, 5-7, 10-4
1. Stavrianakou/Linda Ammar Mouhoub (UMKC) def. Hartjes/Nelsen (CU) 6-4
2. Snyder/Noonan (CU) def. Schulte/Pintos (UMKC) 6-2
3. Sam Anderson/Vermillion (CU) def. Argenal/Amsallem (UMKC) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (1,3,4,2,5,6*)