New to the Creighton bench in 2013-14 is Patrick Sellers, who joined the program in April as an assistant coach.
Sellers brings the program crucial familiarity of the East Coast and the BIG EAST Conference, having spent six seasons at former league school Connecticut from 2004-10.
Most recently, Sellers spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra on Mo Cassara’s staff. When Cassara departed Sellers was named the program’s interim head coach, before electing to work at Creighton.
Sellers worked at Connecticut from 2004-10, where he was instrumental in recruiting players such as Jeremy Lamb, Tyler Olander, Shabazz Napier and Roscoe Smith who would go on to win the 2011 national championship vs. Butler. His primary on-court responsibility was working with UConn’s frontcourt players, including future NBA players Hasheem Thabeet and Jeff Adrien.
Sellers left UConn in 2010 and spent one season as an assistant coach in China with Shanxi Zhongyu.
Prior to his time with UConn, Sellers was an assistant coach for one season at Massachusetts (2003-04) and for four years at his alma mater, Central Connecticut State (1999-2003). While at CCSU, the Blue Devils made the NCAA Tournament in both 2000 and 2002, earning regular-season and tournament Northeast Conference titles in both years.
Sellers began his coaching career in the high school ranks at St. Thomas Aquinas in New Britain, Conn. He served as an assistant for three seasons before becoming head coach in 1997. His first team won a conference title, and both his teams would advance to the state tournament.
A native of South Carolina, Sellers played collegiately at Central Connecticut State, where he graduated in 1991 with a degree in accounting. Sellers was a team captain and named East Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 1991 after leading the team in rebounding twice and finishing with 581 career rebounds.
Following college, Sellers played professionally in the British Basketball League for three seasons before returning to the U.S. to begin his coaching career.
Sellers resides in Omaha.
The Patrick Sellers File
• Date of Birth - December 28, 1968
Collegiate Coaching Experience
• Creighton - Assistant Coach, 2013-present
• Hofstra - Interim Head Coach, 2013
• Hofstra - Assistant Coach, 2011-13
• Connecticut - Associate Head Coach, 2007-10
• Connecticut - Director of Operations, 2004-07
• Massachusetts - Assistant Coach, 2003-04
• Central Connecticut State - Assistant Coach, 1999-2003
Collegiate Playing Experience
• Central Connecticut State - Guard, 1987-91
Professional Coaching Experience
• Shanxi Zhongyu (China) - Assistant Coach, 2010-11
Professional Playing Experience
• Middlesborough Mohawks (Britain) - 1991-93
High School Coaching Experience
• St. Thomas Aquinas (New Britain, Conn.) - Head Coach, 1997-99
• St. Thomas Aquinas (New Britain, Conn.) - Assistant Coach, 1994-97
• Central Connecticut State - B.S., accounting, 1991