• Ranked 11th in the MVC with a .275 hitting percentage.
• Owned six or more kills in 17 of 18 MVC matches this fall.
• Had career-best nine blocks in win over South Dakota (Sept. 3).
• Hit .429 with seven kills vs. Texas A&M (Aug. 26).
• Had 11 kills and hit .400 vs. UAB (Sept. 17).
• Tied her career-high with 12 kills on .500 hitting in win at Evansville (Sept. 23), then produced career-best 15 kills to go with six blocks in win at Southern Illinois one night later (Sept. 24).
• Ten kills, five blocks and career-high five digs vs. Illinois State (Sept. 30).
• Had 14 kills on .636 hitting in sweep over Evansville (Oct. 22).
• Her .636 hitting ranks seventh-best in a match in Creighton history.
• Had 11 kills on .667 hitting in three-set win at Indiana State (Oct. 28).
• Had 14 kills on .406 hitting in win vs. Wichita State (Nov. 4), then followed it with 10 kills on .360 hitting and seven blocks vs. Missouri State (Nov. 5).
• Named MVC Scholar-Athlete of the Week on Nov. 9.
2010: Sophomore at Creighton
• Started team’s first six matches, averaging 1.12 kills and second on club with 1.04 blocks per set in those starts.
• Ranked 14th in the MVC in blocks per set (all matches) and ninth in league play with a .286 hitting percentage.
• Started team’s last 20 matches.
• Had nine kills vs. Kansas (Aug. 28) and season-best seven blocks vs. both San Francisco (Aug. 27) and Lipscomb (Aug. 28).
• Served her first career ace vs. Lipscomb (Aug. 28), then two more vs. Saint Louis (Sept. 3).
• Had nine kills and six blocks on .533 hitting in 3-2 win over Wichita State (Oct. 9).
• Had seven blocks, including five in the third set, during a 3-0 win over Indiana State (Oct. 29).
• Had then career-high 11 kills while hitting .400 and adding five blocks in MVC Tournament quarterfinal win over Drake (Nov. 25).
• Eight kills and four blocks in MVC Tournament final vs. No. 11 UNI (Nov. 27).
• Had 12 kills on .400 hitting in win over No. 16 Iowa State in first round of NCAA Tournament (Dec. 3).
• Hit .285, averaging 2.02 kills and 0.79 blocks per set in last 11 matches.
2009: Freshman at Creighton
• Started first six matches of the season and made seven starts overall.
• Frequently checked in late in a set to give Creighton a bigger block.
• Had a season-high seven kills to go with five blocks at Kansas (Sept. 5).
• Earned start as a middle blocker at No. 21 Northern Iowa and had three kills while tying season-high with five blocks (Nov. 20). Four of her blocks came consecutively in the second set.
Mead High School
• Named second-team all-Class D-1 and first-team all-conference as both a junior and senior after earning honorable-mention recognition as a sophomore in volleyball.
• Averaged 4.2 kills and 1.1 blocks per set as a senior, finishing with 322 kills, 291 digs, 85 blocks and 24 aces for the Raiders.
• Set school records with 29 kills in one match and 396 kills as a junior.
• Named first-team all-Omaha area as a senior.
• Also a standout basketball player, she had one game with 32 points and 23 rebounds in win over Cross County. Set a school record with 38 points in one game vs. Omaha Christian Academy as a junior.
• Set single-season school record with 513 points as a junior.
• Averaged 24.0 points and 12.4 rebounds while shooting 57 percent from the field and 68 percent at the line as a senior on the hardwood to earn all-state accolades. As a junior, averaged 22.3 points and 13.0 rebounds per game to be named first team all-state.
• Recognized as Fremont Tribune Female Athlete of the Year and received the U.S. Army Reserve National Scholar-Athlete Award.
• Ranked first in her graduating class with a 4.0 GPA.
• Volleyball coach was Amy Sund and basketball coach was Tracy Berg.
Creighton Awards & Honors
2009-10 MVC Academic Honor Roll
2010-11 Dean’s List
2010-11 MVC Academic Honor Roll
2011 MVC Scholar-Athlete of the Week, 11/9
2011-12 Dean’s List
2011-12 MVC Academic Honor Roll
More About Heather
Full Name: Heather Ann Thorson
Birthday: Aug. 9, 1990
Birthplace: Omaha, Neb.
Parents: William and Patricia Thorson
Brother: Nathan (24)
Major: Exercise Science
Career Aspiration: Dentist
Favorite quote: “If you are not willing to look stupid, nothing great is ever going to happen to you.” (Gregory House)
Favorite Vacation Spot: Florida beaches
Why Creighton: Close to home
Summer 2012 Job: Working camps and shadowing dentists
Best Volleyball Memory: Winning in the first round of the NCAA Tourney
Hobbies: Baking, shopping, crafting
Favorite Class/Professor at Creighton: Theology/Dr. Ashley Hall