NEW YORK – After both compiled perfect 4-0 ledgers last week across singles and doubles play, the Creighton pair of Billy Paluch and Jennie Hartjes were named the BIG EAST Men’s and Women’s Tennis Players of the Week, respectively, on Tuesday.
The awards mark the second of the season for each upperclassman this season. Hartjes claimed the award on Feb. 11 for the first time. More recently, Paluch took home the award on March 14.
Paluch won all four of his singles and doubles matches at the top spot last weekend to lead the Bluejays split a pair of non-conference decisions at home. He only surrendered six games total to his foes in the singles wins at the No. 1 position.
On Wednesday, Paluch defeated Kacper Stelmaszak of Portland State 6-1, 6-2. He also paired up with partner Jake Norman to defeat PSU's top duo 8-4, but the visiting Vikings edged the Jays 4-3 in the match. Three days later the Bluejay tandem blanked Chicago State at No. 1 doubles. Paluch went on to beat CSU's Mario Noboa 6-3, 6-0 at No. 1 singles later to give the Jays a 6-1 victory.
Hartjes also swept all four of her singles and doubles matches at the top spot last weekend to lead the Bluejays split a pair of 4-3 non-conference decisions at home. She only surrendered three games total to her foes in the singles wins at the No. 1 position.
On Friday, Hartjes defeated Jieke Stroobant of Northern Iowa 6-1, 6-1 to help secure a 4-3 team win. She also paired up with partner Katherine Nelsen to defeat UNI's top duo 8-4. Two days later the Bluejay tandem knocked off South Dakota State at No. 1 doubles with an 8-3 effort. Hartjes went on to beat SDSU's Florencia Magni 6-1, 6-0 at No. 1 singles later but the Jays fell 4-3 to the Jackrabbits.
- The CU women have won six of their last seven matches.
- The women’s squad completes a season-long four-match home stand against Hastings and Omaha this weekend before making their BIG EAST debut in Cincinnati against Xavier on Apr. 11.
- The Creighton women have won the top two singles spots in each of its last six matches.
- The CU men have won seven of their last nine matches.
- The Creighton men's team will host and play in their first BIG EAST match on Thursday when they host St. John's at 12:30 p.m. CT in Omaha.
- The CU men complete a season-long five-match home stand against IPFW and Hastings later this weekend.