Women's Tennis Closes Out Home Slate with 5-2 Win Over Omaha
OMAHA, Neb. – The Creighton women’s tennis team defeated cross-town Omaha 5-2 at the Hanscom Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon.
In a back-and-forth affair early, Creighton (10-7) won the doubles point to take the lead but the Jays traded the opening four singles with Omaha (5-10) before CU closed out the match.
The Jays opened with the doubles point as senior Analese Snyder paired up with junior Amanda Noonan for an 8-3 victory on court two over the Maverick duo of Tiffany Hottman and Molly Matricardi. Junior Jennie Hartjes and freshman Katherine Nelsen cruised to an 8-2 win over Omaha’s Alex Tran and Jacqueline Baude at No. 1 doubles to secure the point. On court three, sophomore Karlin Naslund and classmate Sam Anderson completed the sweep with an 8-7 decision against UNO’s Hylan Miller and Kenzie Hill.
Omaha evened the match at 1-1 after Miller stymied CU’s Snyder on court two, 6-1, 6-2. Anderson put CU back in front at 2-1 with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over UNO’s Hill. Maverick Lindsey Wiedeman knotted up the match score at 2-2 with a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Noonan on court four.
Creighton then claimed the final three matches of the day to break the tie and earn the victory. Nelsen won in straight stanzas 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3 singles over Matricardi.
Naslund won the deciding team match point after a tough three-set victory on court six over Baude. The Bluejay won the first set 6-4 before Baude took the second 6-1. Naslund claimed the deciding set 6-3.
Hartjes closed out the match at the top spot with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Omaha’s Tran.
Creighton wraps up the regular season this weekend with a pair of BIG EAST conference matches to be held in Cincinnati. The Jays take on host Xavier Friday at 1 p.m. CT before facing Providence on a neutral site at the same time a day later.
Omaha vs. Creighton
Apr 08, 2014 at Omaha, Neb.
(Hanscom Tennis Center)
Creighton 5, Omaha 2
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Alex Tran (UNO) 6-4, 7-5
2. Hylan Miller (UNO) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Katherine Nelsen (CU) def. Molly Matricardi (UNO) 6-3, 6-4
4. Lindsey Wiedeman (UNO) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Sam Anderson (CU) def. Kenzie Hill (UNO) 6-3, 6-3
6. Karlin Naslund (CU) def. Jacqueline Baude (UNO) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
1. Hartjes/Nelsen (CU) def. Tran/Baude (UNO) 8-2
2. Noonan/Snyder (CU) def. Tiffany Hottman/Matricardi (UNO) 8-3
3. Miller/Hill (UNO) def. Naslund/Anderson (CU) 8-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,5,4,3,6*,1)