Women's Tennis Tops North Dakota, 4-3
WATERLOO, Iowa - Keyed by two victories in the final three matches, the Creighton women's tennis team downed North Dakota, 4-3, on Saturday, Feb. 8. The victory was Creighton's first dual match win of 2014 as the Bluejays moved to 1-3. North Dakota fell to 0-5 in 2014.
After dropping the doubles point (2-1), Creighton split the top two singles spot with North Dakota as Jennie Hartjes won in straight sets for the Bluejays.
Katherine Nelson pulled Creighton even at 2-2 with a 6-3, 6-3 win over North Dakota's Lacey Sprinkel at the No. 3 position.
North Dakota reclaimed the lead with a victory at the fourth singles position, but sophomore Sam Anderson's 6-3, 6-2 win over Mikaela Bennett at No. 6 knotted the match at 3-3.
The match came down to the result of the fifth singles position. Junior Amanda Noonan took the opening set off of North Dakota's Faith Lee, 6-1. Lee, however, nabbed the second set 6-4 and had a 9-6 lead in the tiebreaker. Noonan rose to the challenge with five consecutive points to claim the match for the Bluejays.
"We came out tentative and let nerves get to us in doubles," said head coach Tom Lilly. "Fortunately our team showed a lot of heart, to fight back. Jennie and Katherine continue to play great singles tennis, while Sam and Amanda played some clutch tennis today. Hopefully this will get our spirits up and get us playing with confidence."
Creighton returns to action on Sunday, Feb. 9 as the Bluejays battle Western Illinois at 9 a.m. in a neutral site match in Waterloo, Iowa (Northern Iowa).
Creighton Women’s Tennis:
Creighton 4, North Dakota 3
Doubles: (North Dakota wins doubles point, 2-1)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Hartjes/Nelson (CU) def. Petsis/Biehn (UND); 6-2
2. Ronkowski/Lee (UND) def. Snyder/Noonan (CU); 6-0
3. Bennett/Sprinkel (UND) def. Anderson/Vermillion (CU); 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 6, 5
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Stephanie Petsis (UND); 7-5, 6-1
2. Callie Ronkowski (UND) def. Analese Snyder (CU); 6-3, 6-2
3. Katherine Nelsen (CU) def. Lacey Sprinkel (UND) ; 6-3, 6-3
4. Stephanie Biehn (UND) def. Liz Vermillion (CU); 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (1)
5. Amanda Noonan (CU) def. Faith Lee (UND); 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (9)
6. Sam Anderson (CU def. Mikaela Bennett (UND); 6-3, 6-2