Two of Creighton's men's teams, cross country and golf, as well as six women's teams including cross country, golf, rowing, softball, tennis and volleyball, earned a perfect 1,000 APR score for 2008-2009. In May 2010, Creighton was awarded NCAA Public Recognition Awards for ranking in the top 10 percent of all squads in men's golf and women's volleyball, women's cross country and women's golf.
The APR report examines all sports programs and evaluates them in terms of academic progress toward degree completion and graduation. Individual sports are ranked on a 1,000-point scale with 925 being the cut-off score and 1,000 being a perfect score. Overall, Creighton's teams had an average score of 977.6 compared with 969 nationally for those same sports.
Some additional facts regarding Creighton student-athletes' academic achievements:
- 101 of 231 student-athletes had a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher for the 2009-10 academic year; 16 student-athletes earned a GPA of 4.0 for the spring semester 2010.
- Creighton has won the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) All-Academic Award in five of the past six seasons.
- During the 2009-10 academic year, 23 individuals were named to MVC scholar-athlete teams.
- Graduating senior and softball pitcher Tara Oltman became the first female student-athlete in Creighton history to be named a three-time Academic All-American.
- The men's and women's cross country teams were honored by the U. S. Track & Field and Cross Country Association for their work in the classroom. The men were tied for the highest GPA in the country at 3.67 and the women were tied for 10th nationally with a 3.64 GPA.
- Six Creighton rowers were named 2010 Scholar-Athlete Award winners by the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association.