OMAHA, Neb. - The Creighton baseball team begins a three-game series with Minnesota in Fort Myers, Florida on Friday, Feb. 21 at noon.
The weekend series against Minnesota will offer live stats on www.gocreighton.com.
The direct link for all three games is:
Creighton opened 2014 on the wrong side of a three-game sweep at Arkansas-Little Rock. The Bluejays scored just six runs in the three contests.
Creighton battles Minnesota in a three-game set in Fort Myers, Florida. The games will be played at Hammond Stadium, the home of the Fort Myers Miracle, the Class A affiliate of the
Creighton remains on the road, next heading to Charlotte, N.C. to battle UNC-Charlotte on Feb. 28 - March 2.
Bluejays vs. Minnesota Series
Creighton and Minnesota have met 37 times previously, with the Golden Gophers holding the series edge, 19-18. Minnesota controlled the series through the 70s, winning 11 of the first 12 meetings. Creighton, however, has gained the upper hand of late with nine straight wins over the Golden Gophers. The last meeting came in 2010 as the Bluejays posted a 6-4 win in the Metrodome Tournament on March 13.
- Located in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Minnesota has an enrollment of 50,833.
- Known as the Golden Gophers.
- Minnesota finished 2013 with an 32-22 record and an 13-8 mark in the Big Ten.
- Minnesota returned four starters from its 2013 season.
- The Golden Gopher were not picked to finish in the top six of the Big Ten as the conference only announces its top half.
Minnesota Head Coach: John Anderson
- Record of 1,127-748-3 in 33 seasons as a head coach at Minnesota.
- Led Minnesota to Nine Big Ten Tournament titles: 1982, ‘85, ‘88, ‘92, ‘93, ‘98, 2001, ‘04 & 2011.
- The Gophers have played in 19 b1G championship games under Anderson and set a Big Ten record with seven straight championship appearances from 2001-07.
- Six-time Big Ten Conference Coach of the Year: 1982, 2000, ‘02, ‘03, ‘04 & ‘10.
Scouting the Golden Gophers (2014: 3-0, 0-0 Big Ten)
Minnesota swept its opening series from Northern Illinois last weekend in
Minnesota took the season opener, 3-2 in 10-innings. The momentum of the first win carried the Golden Gophers to a 6-4 win in game two, then an 11-5 win on Feb. 16 to earn the series sweep.
The Golden Gophers are led by their starting rotation. The Friday starter, Alex Crawford, and Minnesota’s Sunday starter, Ben Meyer, were listed as Big Ten players to watch this season.
Servais Knows How to Fix a Bad Start:
Since Ed Servais took over the Bluejays helm in 2004, Creighton has opened the season 0-3 on two other occasions (2006 & 2009).
In 2006 the Bluejays dropped two games at Arkansas-Little Rock and a third contest to Illinois-Chicago before winning their next 15 games. Creighton went on to finish the 2006 season, 31-21.
In 2009 the Bluejays dropped their first six contests and got off to a 1-9 start, but Creighton closed the year with a 31-25 mark.