2011 (Summer with Willmar Stingers)
• Pitched for the Willmar Stingers of the Northwoods League.
• Finished the summer with a 2-4 record in 23 appearances, leading the team with six saves.
2011 (Junior at Creighton)
• Named to the Missouri Valley Conference second-team.
• Made 35 appearances, 34 out of the bullpen and one start at Nebraska (4/5).
• His 35 appearances are tied for fifth on the single-season Creighton charts.
• Finished the season tied for first in the Valley in saves (13). It also placed him first on the team and tied for 20th in the nation.
• His 13 saves place him in second place on the Creighton single-season charts.
• Finished 22 games on the mound, tied for second-most in the MVC in 2011.
• Went his first 8.2 innings without allowing a run, surrendering just two hits in that time.
• Picked up three saves from April 5-12, being named MVC Pitcher of the Week following the week.
• Threw a season-high 47 pitches in 2.1 innings of work against BYU (3/21).
• Earned first save against Portland, hurling 2.1 innings of scoreless baseball (4/1).
• Struck out a season-high three batters twice, first against South Dakota State (3/13) and then at Illinois State (4/9), tossing 1.0 and 2.2 innings, respectively
• Made his only start of the season at Nebraska, going 2.0 innings and allowing three hits and two earned runs (4/5).
• Didn’t allow a run on the mound from April 9-22, spanning six games and 9.0 innings of relief work.
• Tossed 1.2 innings of hitless and scoreless baseball on opening day at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha against Nebraska (4/19).
• Helped preserve Creighton’s win at Wichita State, throwing 1.1 innings in the 7-5 win (5/7), his sixth save of the season.
• Earned his seventh save three days later, throwing 1.0 innings and holding onto a 9-8 win against Nebraska (5/10).
• Compiled longest shutout streak from May 10-28, going 9.1 innings without allowing a run.
• Earned three saves in the MVC Tournament, against Bradley (5/25), Missouri State (5/26) and Wichita State (5/28).
• Picked up his 13th save of the season in the MVC Championship game, tossing the final inning against Wichita State (5/28).
2010 (Sophomore at Creighton)
• Made 14 relief appearances.
• Started season with three scoreless appearances of one inning apiece against SIU Edwardsville (2/20) and Northern Colorado (3/5 and 3/6).
• Made a then career-long appearance against Illinois State (4/10), hurling 3.0 innings and striking out two.
• Allowed a run in two-thirds of an inning at Bradley (4/17).
• Threw four straight scoreless outings, hurling an inning apiece against Nebraska (4/20) and Air Force (4/27) and following that with two innings against Nebraska (5/18) and three innings against New Orleans (5/22).
• Took the loss in the final game of the season, throwing a career-long four innings, allowing two earned runs against Indiana State (5/27).
2009 (Freshman at Creighton)
• Appeared in three games in relief for the Jays.
• Made first collegiate appearance against Albany on March 7, striking out his first batter.
• Made second appearance at home against North Dakota (3/24).
• Threw 0.2 innings against Nebraska, notching his second scoreless outing of the year.
• Did not walk a batter in his three appearances.
2005-08 (Tri-Center High School)
• Selected as 2008 Male Athlete of the Year by the Council Bluffs Daily Nonpareil newspaper.
• Started playing for Tri-Center when he was in eighth grade.
• Lettered in football four years, basketball four years, track four years and baseball five years.
• Baseball team was Western Iowa Conference Champions three times.
• In baseball made second team all-conference and was honorable mention all-district in eighth grade.
• Was first team all-conference and all-district his freshman through senior seasons.
• As a senior went 8-1 with a 0.98 ERA on the mound with 81 K’s and 14 walks in just 57.0 innings.
• At the plate hit .486 with six doubles, nine home runs, 29 RBI and 17 stolen bases in 26 games.
• Member of the National Honor Society.
Creighton Single-Game Highs
Innings pitched: 4.0 vs. Indiana State, 5/27/10
Hits allowed: 6, vs. Iowa, 4/28/10
Doubles allowed: 2, at Arkansas State, 3/7/11
Triples allowed: None
Home runs allowed: 1, vs. New Orleans, 5/22/10
Walks allowed: 2, (3x), last at Missouri State, 5/26/11
Strikeouts: 3, (2x), last vs. Illinois State, 4/9/11
Batters faced: 19, vs. Indiana State, 5/27/10
Runs: 6, vs. Iowa, 4/28/10
Earned runs: 6, vs. Iowa, 4/28/10
Awards and Honors
Missouri Valley Conference second-team, 2011
Missouri Valley Conference Pitcher of the Week, April 18, 2011
More About Kurt
Full Name: Kurt Mychael Spomer
Birthday: July 10, 1989
Birthplace: Omaha, Neb.
Parents: Michael and Sharanne Spomer
Siblings: Jill (28), Ryan (26) and Anna (16)
Major: Financial Services/Entrepreneurial Management
Career Ambition: Play professional baseball for as long as I can then become CFO of a large company
Favorite Athletes: Michael Jordan and Derek Jeter
Favorite Movies: Hoosiers, Rudy, Moneyball
Favorite Food: Chicken Alfredo
Favorite Quote: “I’ve failed over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
Why Creighton?: Small university with great academics and excellent baseball program.