Awards & Honors
2014 First Team All-BIG EAST Conference
2014-15 BIG EAST All-Academic Team
2014-15 Dean’s List
2015 Preseason All-BIG EAST
2015 Preseason BIG EAST Player of the Year2014: Sophomore at Creighton
• First Team All-BIG EAST pick despite missing 12 matches after arthroscopic surgery on her knee in the second week of the season.
• Averaged 2.96 kills and 2.49 digs per set overall, but that jumped to 3.02 kills and 2.60 digs in league play.
• Team was 17-3 after her return, and 18-4 overall with her, compared to a 7-5 mark without her.
• After returning to the starting six on Oct. 3, led the team in kills and kills per set and was 11 digs shy of the team lead in that category as well.
• In BIG EAST play ranked in top-10 in aces per set (sixth), points per set (ninth) and kills per set (10th).
• In all matches, ranked ninth in the BIG EAST in points per set.
• In return to the starting line-up, had 10 kills in 16 swings, hitting .625, and added eight digs in 3-1 win at DePaul (Oct. 3).
• Pounded 18 kills in road win at Marquette, adding 12 digs for her first double-double of the fall (Oct. 4).
• Generated another double-double against Marquette in the rematch (Oct. 24), finishing with 11 kills and 12 digs.
• Had 16 kills and 13 digs at Seton Hall (Oct. 10).
• Hit .571 and finished with 13 kills in 21 swings in 3-0 win over St. John’s (Oct. 17).
• Had career-highs with 22 kills and 23 digs in five-set win at Butler (Nov. 8) while hitting .405, becoming first Bluejay with 20 kills & 20 digs in the same match since Leah Ratzlaff in 2004.
• In that win over the Bulldogs, had seven kills in the fifth set, including CU’s final five kills as the Jays rallied from an 11-9 deficit.
• Finished with 10 kills and 13 digs in road win at St. John’s that clinched BIG EAST regular-season title (Nov. 15).
• Had 10 kills and 11 digs for her seventh double-double of the year in a 3-1 win over Xavier in the BIG EAST Championship semifinals (Nov. 28).
• Put down a match-high 18 kills in BIG EAST Championship final win over Seton Hall (Nov. 29).
• Had 15 kills and 15 digs in NCAA Tournament match vs. Oregon State (Dec. 5).
• Team is 11-0 in her career when she hits .305 or better.2013: Freshman at Creighton
• True freshman who played all six rotations and started every match.
• Finished second on the team in digs (338) and tied for second on the team in kills (297).
• Owned nine or more kills in the last 13 matches and a double-double in nine of her last 15 contests.
• Ranked second on the team with 11 double-doubles, most by a CU freshman since Allie Oelke in 2007.
• Named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week on Oct. 14 after averaging 2.86 kills, 2.29 digs and 1.00 blocks per set in wins vs. DePaul and Marquette.
• Set a school record for kills in a debut with 14 in a win over No. 13 BYU (Aug. 30).
• Added 12 digs against BYU to become first CU player to debut with a kill-dig double-double since 1994.
• Had her second double-double against No. 7 Hawai’i (Sept. 20), finishing with 10 kills and 12 digs.
• Notched a season-best 18 digs in 3-0 win vs. South Florida (Sept. 7).
• Named to All-Tournament Team at Shocker Volleyball Classic (Sept. 22).
• Had 12 kills, seven digs, five blocks and two aces on .333 hitting in 3-1 win vs. DePaul (Oct. 11).
• Collected 14 digs and had nine kills in 3-2 win vs. Xavier (Oct. 18).
• Grabbed 18 digs and added 10 kills during win vs. Butler (Oct. 20).
• Had fourth double-double of the fall in 3-1 win at DePaul (Oct. 26), finishing with 13 kills and 13 digs on .303 hitting.
• Had 15 kills to go with 10 digs vs. St. John’s (Nov. 1).
• Provided third straight double-double in 3-0 sweep vs. Seton Hall, recording 10 kills and 12 digs (Nov. 3).
• Helped Creighton to a 3-1 win at Georgetown with 12 kills, 15 digs and four blocks (Nov. 9).
• Grabbed eighth double-double with season-high 16 kills and added 15 digs at Seton Hall (Nov. 16).
• Had 10 kills and season-best 22 digs vs. Xavier in BIG EAST Tourney (Nov. 29).
• Had 11 kills and 15 digs in BIG EAST Tourney final vs. Marquette (Nov. 30).
• Made NCAA Tournament debut with nine kills, six digs and season-high five blocks vs. Arkansas (Dec. 6).
• Added nine kills and 10 digs vs. No. 23 Kansas (Dec. 7).Bennington High School
• Named First Team All-State in Class B as both a junior and senior by the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star.
• As a senior, named First Team All-State (all classes) by the Lincoln Journal Star and Second Team All-State by the Omaha World-Herald.
• Had 254 kills, 150 digs and 24 aces as a senior after contributing a school-record 288 kills as a junior for the Badgers.
• Also set school records for single-season hitting percentage (.400), aces (83) and in the triple jump (35’1”).
• High school teams went 104-29 in four seasons, including three Eastern Midland Conference titles.
• Made it to state as both a freshman and a sophomore.
• Tabbed the nation’s No. 73 recruit by PrepVolleyball.com.
• Earned four volleyball letters, two letters in dance and one in track.
• Named 2013 Bennington Athlete of the Year.
• Two-time Academic All-Conference in volleyball and once in track and was a member of the National Honor Society.
• Coached by Scott Romans and Amanda Balk in high school.
• Grew up attending Creighton camps/clinics.
• Selected Creighton over Notre Dame, Northern Iowa, Northwestern, Virginia and Colorado State.
• Cousin of Dani Bird (South Dakota School of Mines volleyball) and former college athletes Brandon Bird (Creighton baseball) and Erik Bird (Nebraska baseball).More About Jess
Jan. 12, 1995
Chris and Pat Bird
Bird, J. Birdy
Taste tester for Orange Leaf
Summer 2015 Job
Favorite Twitter Account To Follow
Favorite Movie/TV Shows
Grey’s Anatomy, One Tree Hill, She’s the Man
My nails MUST be painted
Favorite Road Trip With The Team
Favorite Class & Professor at Creighton
Jean Lilly, Calculus