BROOKLYN, N.Y. - The Creighton Bluejays and Xavier Musketeers meet with an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament on the line in the BIG EAST Championship on Sunday, May 25 at 12 pm (CT).
BIG EAST CHAMPIONSHIP
No. 1 Creighton vs. No. 4 Xavier
12:00 pm (CT)
MCU Park - Brooklyn, N.Y.
TV: Fox Sports 1 - Rich Ackerman & C.J. Nitkowski
Bluejay Quick Hits:
- Creighton is 19-4-1 when scoring first.
- Eight of Creighton’s 11 runs in the BIG EAST Tournament have come with two outs.
- Facing Xavier for the fifth time in the last 11 days, Creighton has won three straight over the Musketeers. In 2011 the Bluejays did something similar, taking four of five from Missouri State over the course of eight days (May 19 to May 27).
- Reagan Fowler is hitting .429 (6-of-14) against Xavier pitching this season, while senior Brad McKewon has a .316 average (6-of-19) with a team best five RBI.
- This is the third conference championship game for Creighton in the last four years. The Bluejays won the Missouri Valley (MVC) Tournament Championship in 2011 & 2012. The last time Creighton fell in a championship game was in 2009.
- The last time Creighton went undefeated in a conference tournament was in 2012 when the Bluejays went 4-0 in the MVC Tournament.
- Creighton is 4-1 in neutral site games in 2014, led by a .600 average from senior Cody Kottich.
- Bryan Sova has pitched 11 of 18 innings in the BIG EAST Tournament for Creighton.
- The remainder of the Bluejays’ pitching staff has allowed just two runs in seven innings, while Sova surrendered one run in his 11 frames.
- Taylor Elman allowed seven runs in 6.2 innings of work at Xavier on May 15.
- Having already eliminated St. John’s and Seton Hall, the Musketeers could become the first team since 1991 to send each other team in the BIG EAST Tournament home.
- Xavier’s expected starter, Trent Astle, held the Bluejays scoreless in his only appearance against Creighton in 2.1 innings of relief.