NEW YORK – The seventh-seeded Creighton women’s tennis team fell 4-1 to the No. 10 seed Butler to open the BIG EAST Women’s Tennis Championship at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Thursday afternoon.
Creighton (11-9) dropped the doubles point to Butler (5-16) to open the match. The Bulldogs then took three of four completed singles matches to advance to the quarterfinals against No. 2 seed Marquette.
On doubles court two CU senior Analese Snyder and junior Amanda Noonan dropped an 8-4 match to Grace Hyde and Angelina Qin. BU captured the first team point at No. 1 doubles as the Creighton tandem of junior Jennie Hartjes and freshman Katherine Nelsen dropped a tight 8-6 decision to Butler’s Stephanie McLoughlin and Kailey Eaton.
The Bluejays evened the score at 1-1 after Nelsen rolled to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Hyde on court three. The Bulldogs answered on court six as BU’s Jocelyn Koester defeated Karlin Naslund 6-2, 6-1 to extend the BU lead to 2-1 in the match.
At No. 4 singles, Eaton needed three sets to knock out Noonan. CU’s Noonan took the first set 6-4 before Eaton won the second stanza 6-2 to force a deciding set. Eaton finished the comeback victory with a 6-3 result in the third to put BU ahead 3-1 in the match.
Butler closed out the match on court one in another three-set affair. Creighton’s Hartjes claimed the first set 6-2 but BU’s McLoughlin won the next two sets by the same score to claim the contest and team match point.
Creighton wraps up its season with a backdraw match against the No. 8 seed Providence on Friday at 8 a.m. CT; the match will be played indoors. The Jays edged the Friars 4-3 in their regular-season finale in Cincinnati on April 12.
#10 Butler vs. #7 Creighton
Apr 24, 2014 at Flushing Meadows, New York
(USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center)
#10 Butler 4, #7 Creighton 1
1. Stephanie McLoughlin (BU) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Konstantina Adami (BU) v. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-0, 6-6 (5-3) did not finish
3. Katherine Nelsen (CU) def. Grace Hyde (BU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kailey Eaton (BU) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Angelina Qin (BU) v. Sam Anderson (CU) 7-6, 0-6, 4-3 did not finish
6. Jocelyn Koester (BU) def. Karlin Naslund (CU) 6-2, 6-1
1. McLoughlin/Eaton (BU) def. Hartjes/Nelsen (CU) 8-6
2. Hyde/Qin (BU) def. Snyder/Noonan (CU) 8-4
3. Koester/Adami (BU) v. Anderson/Liz Vermillion (CU) 7-5 did not finish
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,6,4,1*)