OMAHA, Neb. – The Creighton men’s tennis team fell 5-2 to No. 62 IPFW in a non-conference match inside the Hanscom Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
Senior Billy Paluch and sophomore Quinn Dippel picked up singles wins to lead Creighton (9-6, 0-1 BIG EAST). IPFW (15-6, 4-0 Summit) picked up the doubles point and the rest of the singles matches to claim its eighth win in nine matches.
The Mastodons swept the top two doubles matches to take a team match point. IPFW’s Andres Cobos and Daniel Kang edged Paluch and freshman Jake Norman by a score of 8-6 at No. 1 doubles. The Mastodon duo of Gerard Guell and Martin Muadi defeated CU junior Elliott Baker and sophomore August Nysted 8-3 on court two for the sweep. Match three went unfinished with IPFW leading.
All six singles matches were settled in straight sets. Paluch claimed a 6-4, 6-3 victory on court one over Kang. Dippel doubled up Connor Andrews of IPFW 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 singles for the Bluejays’ pair of team points on the day.
Creighton returns to action this Sunday at 1:00 p.m. CT against Hastings tentatively scheduled for the Koch Tennis Center, weather permitting. The match would mark senior day for fifth-year player Billy Paluch.
IPFW vs. Creighton
Apr 05, 2014 at Omaha, Neb.
(Hanscom Tennis Center)
IPFW 5, Creighton 2
1. Billy Paluch (CU) def. Daniel Kang (IPFW) 6-4, 6-3
2. Andres Cobos (IPFW) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 7-6, 6-4
3. Gerard Guell (IPFW) def. Jake Norman (CU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Quinn Dippel (CU) def. Connor Andrews (IPFW) 6-2, 6-2
5. Martin Muadi (IPFW) def. Harrison Lang (CU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Karl Wangensten-Oye (IPFW) def. Aaron Chalstrom (CU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Cobos/Kang (IPFW) def. Paluch/Norman (CU) 8-6
2. Guell/Muadi (IPFW) def. Baker/Nysted (CU) 8-3
3. Dippel Lang (CU) vs. Andrews/Wangensten-Oye (IPFW) 5-6, unfinished