2013: Freshman at Creighton
• True freshman who played all six rotations and started every match.
• Finished second on the team in digs and tied for second on the team in kills.
• Owned nine or more kills in the last 13 matches and a double-double in nine of her last 15 contests.
• Ranked second on the team with 11 double-doubles, most by a CU freshman since Allie Oelke in 2007.
• Named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week on Oct. 14 after averaging 2.86 kills, 2.29 digs and 1.00 blocks per set in wins vs. DePaul and Marquette.
• Set a school record for kills in a debut with 14 in a win over No. 13 BYU (8/30).
• Added 12 digs against BYU to become first player to debut with a kill-dig double-double since 1994.
• Had her second double-double against No. 7 Hawai’i (9/20), finishing with 10 kills and 12 digs.
• Notched a season-best 18 digs in 3-0 win vs. USF (9/7).
• Named to All-Tournament Team at Shocker Volleyball Classic (9/22).
• Had 12 kills, seven digs, five blocks and two aces on .333 hitting in 3-1 win vs. DePaul (10/11).
• Collected 14 digs and had nine kills in 3-2 win vs. Xavier (10/18).
• Grabbed 18 digs and added 10 kills during win vs. Butler (10/20).
• Had fourth double-double of the fall in 3-1 win at DePaul (10/26), finishing with 13 kills and 13 digs on .303 hitting.
• Had 15 kills to go with 10 digs vs. St. John’s (11/1).
• Provided third straight double-double in 3-0 sweep vs. Seton Hall, recording 10 kills and 12 digs (11/3).
• Helped Creighton to a 3-1 win at Georgetown with 12 kills, 15 digs and four blocks (11/9).
• Grabbed eighth double-double with career-high 16 kills and added 15 digs at Seton Hall (11/16).
• Had 10 kills and career-best 22 digs vs. Xavier in BIG EAST Tourney (11/29).
• Had 11 kills and 15 digs in BIG EAST Tourney final vs. Marquette (11/30).
• Made NCAA Tournament debut with nine kills, six digs and season-high five blocks vs. Arkansas (12/6).
• Added nine kills and 10 digs vs. No. 23 Kansas (12/7).Bennington High School
• Named First Team All-State in Class B as both a junior and senior by the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star.
• As a senior, named First Team All-State (all classes) by the Lincoln Journal Star and Second Team All-State by the Omaha World-Herald.
• Had 254 kills, 150 digs and 24 aces as a senior after contributing a school-record 288 kills as a junior for the Badgers.
• Also set school records for single-season hitting percentage (.400), aces (83) and in the triple jump (35’1”).
• High school teams went 104-29 in four seasons, including three Eastern Midland Conference titles.
• Made it to state as both a freshman and a sophomore.
• Tabbed the nation’s No. 73 recruit by PrepVolleyball.com.
• Earned four volleyball letters, two letters in dance and one in track.
• Named 2013 Bennington Athlete of the Year.
• Two-time Academic All-Conference in volleyball and once in track and was a member of the National Honor Society.
• Coached by Scott Romans and Amanda Balk in high school.
• Grew up attending Creighton camps/clinics.
• Selected Creighton over Notre Dame, Northern Iowa, Northwestern, Virginia and Colorado State.
• Cousin of Dani Bird (South Dakota School of Mines volleyball) and former college athletes Brandon Bird (Creighton baseball) and Erik Bird (Nebraska baseball).Creighton Awards & Honors
2013 BIG EAST Freshman of the Week, 10/14
2013 Shocker Volleyball Classic All-Tournament Team
2013-14 BIG EAST All-Academic TeamMore About Jess
Full Name: Jessica Marie Bird
Birthday: Jan. 12, 1995
Birthplace: Omaha, Neb.
Parents: Chris and Pat Bird
Sibling: Matt (22)
Career Aspiration: Surgical nurse
Nicknames: Bird, J, Birdy
Favorite Movie: She’s The Man
Favorite Athlete: Jordan Larson
Favorite Vacation Spot: Okoboji
Why Creighton: The girls, great coaches and an outstanding education
Favorite Quote: “Somewhere behind the athlete you’ve become and the hours of practice and the coaches who have pushed you is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back... play for her.” (Mia Hamm)
Hobbies: Wakeboarding, fishing, dirt biking, shopping
Favorite Part About Ryan Center/D.J. Sokol Arena: The two fans...the ones in the stands and the huge one on the ceiling
2014 Summer Job: Working volleyball camps
Thoughts on the BIG EAST: It’s a blast getting to travel to all the big cities
Best Volleyball Memory: Winning first round of NCAA Tournament
Funniest Teammate: Kenzie Crawford
Match I’m Most Excited For: All our preseason games this fall
Favorite Professor/Class at Creighton: Jean Lilly’s Calculus