MILWAUKEE – The Creighton men’s tennis team ended its regular season with a 5-2 setback to BIG EAST rival Butler in a neutral site match held at Marquette’s Helfaer Tennis Stadium Saturday.
Creighton (10-8, 0-3 BIG EAST) won the doubles point and at No. 1 singles to open the match and take a 2-0 lead over Butler (9-9, 1-2 BIG EAST) but the Bulldogs swept all five of the remaining singles matches in three sets to claim the match.
Creighton junior Elliott Baker and sophomore August Nysted paired up to claim an 8-4 victory on doubles court two over BU’s Pulok Bhattacharya and Brandon Woods. CU senior Billy Paluch and freshman partner Jake Norman claimed the doubles point with an 8-7 victory at No. 1 doubles over Sam O'Neill and Billy Weldon of Butler.
Paluch provided a 2-0 team lead for Creighton after a 6-4, 7-5 straight set win at No. 1 singles over Bhattacharya. But Butler stormed back to sweep the final five points of the match.
Three Creighton players opened their singles matches by winning the first set including Norman, sophomore Quinn Dippel and freshman Aaron Chalstrom but none could hold on to the lead as the Bulldogs battled back from down a set.
Norman and Dippel’s matches were decided in extra games in the deciding set as Butler claimed both matches on courts three and four, respectively.
Both tennis squads will travel to the grounds of the U.S. Open Apr. 24-27 to participate in the BIG EAST Conference Men’s and Women’s Tennis Championships in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
Creighton vs. Butler
Apr. 19, 2014 at Milwaukee, Wis.
(Helfaer Tennis Stadium)
Butler 5, Creighton 2
1. Billy Paluch (CU) def. Pulok Bhattacharya (BU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Austin Woldmoe (BU) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
3. Sam O'Neill (BU) def. Jake Norman (CU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6
4. Brandon Woods (BU) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 3-6, 7-6, 7-6
5. Tommy Marx (BU) def. Aaron Chalstrom (CU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Billy Weldon (BU) def. August Nysted (CU) 7-6, 5-7, 6-2
1. Paluch/ Norman (CU) def. O'Neill/Weldon (BU) 8-7
2. Baker/ Nysted (CU) def. Bhattacharya/Woods (BU) 8-4
3. Marx/Alex Woldmoe (BU) def. Dippel/Nick Thompson (CU) 8-3