Creighton WBB Hosts South Dakota State on Tuesday
OMAHA, Neb. - The Creighton women's basketball team looks to claim its first win of the 2013-14 season as the Bluejays host South Dakota State on Tuesday, Nov. 12 at 7 p.m.
11/12: vs. South Dakota State (0-1) - 7:05 p.m.
Radio: KZOT AM 1180 (www.1620thezone.com)
Brad Burwell (Play-by-Play) & Rob Simms (Color Analyst)
Live Stats (Free): http://www.gocreighton.com/liveStats/liveStats.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=1000
Live Video ($): http://www.gocreighton.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=1000
Twitter: @GoCreighton, @CreightonWBB
About South Dakota State
• Located in Brookings, South Dakota.
• South Dakota State has an enrollment of 12,583.
• The Bulldogs finished 2012-13 with an 25-8 record and a 14-2 mark in the Summit League.
• The Jackrabbits return 10 letterwinners from last season, including three starters (Boever, Strop & Waytashek).
• SDSU is the favorite to claim the Summit League in the preseason poll.
Creighton vs. South Dakota State:
Creighton has won all four meetings with the Jackrabbits, including a 63-54 contest in Brookings last season (Nov. 14). The Bluejays are 2-0 against South Dakota State in Omaha.
Series with South Dakota State:
Date Result Score/Site
2/1/80 W 74-68 (ot) in Omaha
2/11/84 W 78-43 in Omaha
3/20/08 W 76-69 at SDSU @
11/14/12 W 63-54 at SDSU
@ - WNIT game
Last Time vs. South Dakota State
(11-14-12): W, 63-54 @ SDSU
Down 5-2 early, Ally Jensen rallied her troops with a three-pointer, igniting an 11-0 run over the next two minutes. Carli Tritz and McKenzie Fujan each added three points during the run, while Jasmin Corbin capped the run with a layup to make it 13-5. Creighton went on to extend its lead to as much as 11 points at 27-16 and took a 27-19 lead in at halftime.
Keyed by a 2-1-2 zone defense that plagued the Jays in the final moments of the first period, SDSU moved back within striking distance at 50-46. Once more it was Corbin who answered the call, draining back-to-back trifectas to shoot the Jackrabbits out of the zone defense.
South Dakota State Head Coach
Aaron Johnston (Gustavus Adolphus College, 1996) - Entering his 14th season as head coach, Johnston boasts a career record of 315-109 (.744), becoming South Dakota State’s winningest
women’s basketball coach during the 2012-13 season. He recorded win No. 302 at Oakland on Jan. 10, 2013, to pass his predecessor, Nancy Neiber, who compiled a 301-140 record in 16 seasons from 1985-2000.
Scouting the Jackrabbits (0-1)
The Jackrabbits stubbed their toes in the 2013-14 opener, falling to BYU, 81-53. South Dakota State’s downfall against the Cougars was turnovers (22) and an inability to shoot from inside the arc. SDSU was 11-of-23 (47.8%) from three-point distance, but just 6-of-39 (15.4%) from inside the arc.
South Dakota State is a very experienced team, returning three starters from last season and Steph Paluch, who sat out the 2012-13 season due to an injury. Megan Waytashek and Paluch were preseason All-Summitt League selections.
Keys to the Game w/SDSU:
Senior CLASS Award
Senior Sarah Nelson is already racking up national honors as she was one of 30 women’s basketball student-athletes who excel both on and off the court that were selected as candidates for the 2013-14 Senior CLASS Award®. An Omaha native, Nelson boasts a 3.7 GPA, majoring in Pre-Health Science and Finance. On the court she equally excels, finishing second for the Jays in scoring last season at 11.7 points per game (387) and led the Jays with 7.8 rebounds per contest (258 overall).
Home Opener Tidbits
• The Bluejays dropped their 2012-13 home opener to #12 Oklahoma, 69-48.
• Creighton is 25-14 all-time in its first home game of the year, including 9-4 in its last 13 home openers.
• The Bluejays, however, have dropped their last two home openers under Flanery (falling to Oklahoma last season and to South Dakota [56-53 in OT]).
• Creighton’s last win in a home opener came on Nov. 20, 2010 agaist Wyoming (60-49).
• Creighton is 7-4 in home openers under Jim Flanery and the Bluejays are 2-2 in openers at D.J. Sokol Arena. Under Flanery the Bluejays have defeated UMKC, Michigan, Northwestern, Houston, Arkansas-Little Rock, Arkansas State and Wyoming. The losses came to Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and South Dakota
• CU is 44-11 (.800) all-time at D.J. Sokol Arena, including 13-6 (.685) against non-conference opponents.
Drake Domination or Bulldog Lover
Sophomore Marissa Janning truly has enjoyed her time against the Drake Bulldogs. Janning has scored 20+ points in each of the three times she has faced Drake, including 21 on Friday, Nov. 8. Her career-high of 29 points came on March 3, 2013 against Drake. Last year in Des Moines on Feb. 2, she finished with 22 points.