Women's Tennis Drops 4-3 Decision at Northern Iowa
Creighton (7-9, 0-3 MVC) claimed three singles matches but Northern Iowa (7-7, 1-2 MVC) won the other three singles contest as well as the doubles point to record the win.
At No. 1 doubles, UNI’s Phoebe Walker and Krissy Lankelma claimed an 8-3 win over senior Anna Kirshenbaum and junior Analese Snyder. On court three, the Creighton duo of sophomore Liz Vermillion and freshman Sam Anderson defeated the Panther pairing of Lindsay Cayton and Trisha Hinke 8-5. UNI’s Chelsea Moore and Jessica King knocked off the CU tandem of sophomores Jennie Hartjes and Amanda Noonan 8-5 to help claim the doubles point.
Five of the six singles matches were decided in straight sets.
Creighton posted three straight-set victories. Kirshenbaum breezed through a 6-3, 6-1 defeat of Moore on court three. At No. 5 singles Vermillion made quick work of Cayton with a 6-1, 6-2 win. CU sophomore Taylor Koehrsen also won easily over Hinke on court six with a 6-2, 6-1 victory.
UNI recorded a pair of straight-set wins. On court four UNI’s King swept Noonan 6-1, 6-1. At the No. 2 singles spot Lankelma topped Snyder 6-1, 6-4.
The outcome of the match hinged on the result of the No. 1 singles match that pitted CU’s Hartjes against Walker of UNI. The Panther cruised to a 6-1 victory in the first set. Hartjes battled back to win the second stanza at 6-4 to force a deciding set. Walker regained the momentum to post a 6-2 third-set win and help the Panthers edge the Bluejays 4-3.
Creighton will host its final home match of the season against Bradley at 11 a.m. CT Saturday at the Koch Family Tennis Center. It will mark the final home contest for senior Anna Kirshenbaum.
Creighton vs. Northern Iowa
Apr 7, 2013 at Waterloo, Iowa
(Black Hawk Tennis Club)
Northern Iowa 4, Creighton 3
1. Phoebe Walker (UNI) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
2. Krissy Lankelma (UNI) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) def. Chelsea Moore (UNI) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jessica King (UNI) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Liz Vermillion (CU) def. Lindsay Cayton (UNI) 6-1, 6-2
6. Taylor Koehrsen (CU) def. Trisha Hinke (UNI) 6-2, 6-1
1. Walker/Lankelma (UNI) def. Kirshenbaum/Snyder (CU) 8-3
2. Moore/King (UNI) def. Hartjes/Noonan (CU) 8-5
3. Vermillion/Sam Anderson (CU) def. Cayton/Hinke (UNI) 8-5