WICHITA, Kan. - The Creighton women's tennis team fell 6-1 at Wichita State in a Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) match Sunday.
Sophomore Taylor Koehrsen continued her solid play this week for Creighton (2-6, 0-2 MVC) by claiming a point for the Bluejays at No. 6 singles. Wichita State (4-7, 1-0 MVC) swept the doubles point and the first five singles matches to win its first conference match of the season.
In doubles play, WSU's Lucia Kovalova and Veronika Blaskova defeated the CU duo senior Anna Kirshenbaum and junior Analese Snyder 8-2 on court one. The Shockers' No. 2 doubles team of Carla Venticinque and Rebecca Pedrazzi swept the doubles point over the Bluejay tandem of sophomore Jennie Hartjes and freshman Sam Anderson, 8-0. On court three, Satjaporn Mahajaroenkul and Julia Schiller of Wichita State toppled the CU sophomore team of Liz Vermillion and Amanda Noonan 8-1.
All of the singles matches were decided in straight sets or in a superbreaker.
The Shockers carried the momentum from the doubles win into singles competition. At No. 1 singles, Pedrazzi dropped Hartjes 6-1, 6-1 to put WSU up by two. Kovalova defeated Snyder 6-2, 6-1 on court two to give the Shockers their third point. Mahajaroenkul clinched the team match point for the home team on court four with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Noonan.
Creighton's Kirshenbaum fell in a tight two-set match on court three to Schiller 6-4, 6-4. The final two matches were decided in superbreakers. Blaskova put WSU up 6-0 in the match with an 8-0 victory over Vermillion.
Koehrsen closed out the match by edging WSU's Summer Schlotterback 9-8 on court six to record the Jays' lone point of the match.
After a week off from competition, Creighton returns to action against South Carolina State in a neutral-site match in Orlando, Fla., on March 11.
Creighton vs. Wichita State
March 3, 2013 at Wichita, Kan.
(Wichita Country Club)
Wichita State 6, Creighton 1
1. Rebecca Pedrazzi (WSU) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Lucia Kovalova (WSU) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Julia Schiller (WSU) def. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Satjaporn Mahajaroenkul (WSU) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Veronika Blaskova (WSU) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 8-0
6. Taylor Koehrsen (CU) def. Summer Schlotterback (WSU) 9-8
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4*, 3, 5, 6
1. Kovalova/Blaskova (WSU) def. Kirshenbaum/Snyder (CU) 8-2
2. Carla Venticinque/Pedrazzi (WSU) vs. Hartjes/Sam Anderson (CU) 8-0
3. Mahajaroenkul/Schiller (WSU) def. Noonan/Vermillion (CU) 8-1
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3