NEW YORK – The seventh-seeded Creighton men’s tennis team fell 4-0 to the No. 2 seed Marquette on day one of the BIG EAST Men’s Tennis Championship at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Friday.
Creighton (10-9) dropped the doubles point to Marquette (16-8) and then the Golden Eagles rallied to sweep three singles matches to advance to the BIG EAST semifinals.
The Marquette tandem of Cameron Tehrani and Nick Dykema claimed an 8-3 victory on doubles court two over Creighton junior Elliott Baker and sophomore August Nysted. Shortly thereafter CU senior Billy Paluch and freshman partner Jake Norman fell 8-4 at No. 1 doubles to Vukasin Teofanovic and Dan Mamalat as MU claimed the first team point.
Teofanovic extended the Golden Eagles lead to 2-0 on singles court two with a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Baker. MU’s Dykema made it 3-0 MU with a 6-2, 6-3 win over CU sophomore Quinn Dippel at No. 4 singles.
The Golden Eagles clinched the team match point on singles court five as Tehrani of Marquette defeated Creighton freshman Harrison Lang 6-0, 6-1
Creighton's backdraw match against No. 6 Georgetown scheduled for 5 PM Saturday was cancelled.
#2 Marquette vs. #7 Creighton
Apr. 25, 2014 at Flushing Meadows, New York
(USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center)
#2 Marquette 4, #7 Creighton 0
1. Dan Mamalat (MU) v. Billy Paluch (CU) 6-4, 3-3 did not finish
2. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Logon Collins (MU) v. Jake Norman (CU) 6-4, 2-1 did not finish
4. Nick Dykema (MU) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Cameron Tehrani (MU) def. Harrison Lang (CU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Gleb Sklyr (MU) v. Aaron Chalstrom (CU) 6-2, 4-0 did not finish
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,4,5 *)