OMAHA, Neb. – The Creighton women’s tennis team dropped a tight 4-3 match to South Dakota State at the Hanscom Tennis Center Sunday afternoon.
Creighton (8-7) dropped the doubles point to South Dakota State (13-6) which proved to be a difference maker when the Bluejays and Jackrabbits split the six singles matches evenly at 3-3. The Jays’ loss snapped a six-match win streak.
The Jackrabbits opened singles play with a victory on court No. 6 to take a 2-0 lead in the match. Soon afterward Hartjes posted Creighton’s first point on court one with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over SDSU’s Florencia Magni to cut the lead to 2-1.
SDSU moved back in front at 3-1 with a singles victory on court three. CU sophomore Sam Anderson closed the Bluejays back to within one at 3-2 after a 6-3, 7-5 win at No.5 singles over Beatriz Souza.
The Jackrabbits claimed the team match point at 4-2 after a singles victory on court four despite a three-set victory by CU senior Analese Snyder on court two to end the day.
Creighton returns to action when they host Hastings for a non-conference battle tentatively scheduled for the Koch Tennis Center at 1 p.m. CT next Sunday.
South Dakota State vs. Creighton
Mar 30, 2014 at Omaha, Neb.
(Hanscom Tennis Center)
South Dakota State 4, Creighton 3
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Florencia Magni (SDSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Analese Snyder (CU) def. Jenny Blackburne (SDSU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-4
3. Iasmin Rosa (SDSU) def. Katherine Nelsen (CU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Ffion Davies (SDSU) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 7-6, 6-2
5. Sam Anderson (CU) def. Beatriz Souza (SDSU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Tacy Haws-Lay (SDSU) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Hartjes/Nelsen (CU) def. Magni/Blackburne (SDSU) 8-3
2. Rosa/Souza (SDSU) def. Snyder/Noonan (CU) 8-3
3. Davies/Haws-Lay (SDSU) def. Anderson/ Vermillion (CU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,3,5,4*,2)