Men's Tennis Overwhelms Chicago State 6-1
OMAHA, Neb. – The Creighton men’s tennis team overwhelmed Chicago State 6-1 to claim its seventh win in nine matches inside the Hanscom Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
Creighton (9-4) won the doubles point and took five of six singles matches to claim the victory over visiting Chicago State (3-17).
The Bluejays took the doubles point as senior Billy Paluch and freshman Jake Norman blanked Mario Noboa and Sergiu Muresan of CSU 8-0 at the top spot. Sophomore Quinn Dippel and freshman Harrison Lang teamed up to close out the team point with an 8-2 victory on court three over the Cougar tandem of Luis Ulloa and Uros Pajic.
Norman cruised to a double-bagel win at No. 3 singles over Ulloa to make it 2-0 Jays. Paluch was second off the court at the top spot with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Noboa to put CU up 3-0. Dippel’s 6-2, 6-1 win over Pajic on court four clinched the team match point for the Jays.
Lang and freshman Aaron Chalstrom also scored singles victories for the Jays to yield the final 6-1 score.
Creighton returns to action this Thursday at 12:30 p.m. CT in its BIG EAST conference debut when they host St. John’s currently slated for Hanscom Tennis Center.
Chicago State vs. Creighton
Mar 29, 2014 at Omaha, Neb.
(Hanscom Tennis Center)
Creighton 6, Chicago State 1
1. Billy Paluch (CU) def. Noboa, Mario (CHIST) 6-3, 6-0
2. Muresan, Sergiu (CHIST) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-5
3. Jake Norman (CU) def. Ulloa, Luis (CHIST) 6-0, 6-0
4. Quinn Dippel (CU) def. Pajic, Uros (CHIST) 6-2, 6-1
5. Harrison Lang (CU) def. Chavez, Julian (CHIST) 6-1, 6-3
6. Aaron Chalstrom (CU) def. Yeremia, Rashley (CHIST) 6-1, 6-2
1. Paluch/Norman (CU) def. Muresan/Noboa (CHIST) 8-0
2. Baker/August Nysted (CU) vs. Chavez/Yeremia (CHIST) 5-2, unfinished
3. Lang/Dippel (CU) def. Ulloa/Pajic (CHIST) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,1,4*,5,6,2)