Women's Tennis Posts Impressive 4-3 Win Over Northern Iowa
OMAHA, Neb. – The Creighton women’s tennis team claimed its sixth consecutive victory with an impressive 4-3 win over former conference rival Northern Iowa on Friday afternoon.
Creighton (8-6) attained the doubles point to secure the tight win while splitting the six singles matches with Northern Iowa (9-7) at three apiece. The Jays’ victory over the Panthers also snapped UNI’s four-match win streak.
The tandem was off the doubles court first after an 8-4 win at the top doubles spot. Soon after, Creighton junior Liz Vermillion and sophomore Sam Anderson teamed up to down the UNI No. 3 women’s pair 8-6 to secure the a team point.
In singles action, the top of the Jays’ lineup came through with a sweep. Hartjes cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 decision over UNI’s Jieke Stroobant in the top slot to increase the Creighton lead. On court No. 2 senior Analese Snyder toppled Erica Medlin 6-2 in set one before edging out the Panther 7-6 in extra games in the second stanza to pick up another CU team point.
Nelsen scored a three-set win crucial to deciding the match at No. 3 singles. After dropping set one 6-4 to Northern Iowa’s Elvira Lopez, Nelsen bounced back to take the final two sets with a 6-3 win of set two and 6-4 victory in the deciding set to give Creighton another team match point.
UNI swept singles matches on courts Nos. 4-6, but it was not enough to take the match.
Creighton returns to action this Sunday when they host South Dakota State for a non-conference battle tentatively scheduled for the Koch Tennis Center at 1 p.m. CT.
Northern Iowa vs. Creighton
Mar 28, 2014 at Omaha, Neb.
(Hanscom Tennis Center)
Creighton 4, Northern Iowa 3
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Jieke Stroobant (UNI) 6-1, 6-1
2. Analese Snyder (CU) def. Erica Medlin (UNI) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Katherine Nelsen (CU) def. Elvira Lopez (UNI) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Astrid Santos (UNI) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Krissy Lankelma (UNI) def. Sam Anderson (CU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Sydney Wolfe (UNI) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 6-3, 6-0
1. Hartjes/Nelsen (CU) def. Stroobant/Medlin (UNI) 8-4
2. Lopez/Santos (UNI) def. Snyder/Noonan (CU) 8-6
3. Anderson/Vermillion (CU) def. Lankelma/Wolfe (UNI) 8-6