OMAHA, Neb. - The Creighton Baseball team faces Fresno State in a three-game series during the weekend of March 21-23. The series opener is Friday, March 21 at 6:30 pm.
TD Ameritrade Park Omaha
March 21 @ 6:30 p.m.
March 22 @ 2:00 p.m.
Dave Gustafson (Play-by-Play)
Fresno State vs. Creighton Series
Creighton and Fresno State have met just four times previously, the last coming on March 11, 2000. The two squads have split their contests, 2-2. Ironically only one of the previous four meetings has gone the standard nine innings.
& at Fresno State W (10) 10-9
& at Fresno State L 3-13
& - Best of the West Classic at Fresno State
3/8 # at Fresno State W (7) 12-3
3/11 # at Fresno State L (12) 1-5
# - Pepsi/Johnny Quik Classic at Fresno State
About Fresno State
- Located in Fresno, Calif.
- Fresno State has an enrollment of 21,389.
- Known as the Bulldogs.
- Fresno State finished 2013 with an
- 23-33 record and an 14-16 mark in the Mountain West.
- Fresno State returns six field starters from its 2013 season.
- Fresno State was picked to finish fourth in the Mountain West preseason poll.
Fresno State Head Coach: Mike Batesole
- Led Fresno State to the College World Series National Championship in 2008.
- In 12 seasons leading Fresno State, Batesole has collected a 398-304 mark with the Bulldogs
- Before coming to Fresno State, Batesole also coached at Cal State Northridge for seven seasons.
- He has a career record of 652-462 in 19 seasons.
- Other accolades the Batesole has gathered in his career include; Two-time Collegiate Baseball National Coach of the Year (1998, 2008) ... Named 2008 National Coach of the Year by American Baseball Coaches Association, National College Baseball Writers Association and FieldTurf ... Tw0-time Western Athletic Conference Coach of the Year ... And the 2002 Big West Conference Coach of the Year
Scouting the Bulldogs (15-7)
Fresno State opened the 2014 season in
impressive fashion as the Bulldogs took two of three games at UC Irvine. The Anteaters have since moved into several top-25 rankings, but the Bulldogs took the first two games from them. Both of Fresno State’s wins agasint UC Irvine came in extra innings.
Afer sweeping Nevada at home, Fresno State continued to roll with three straight wins over then #18 Texas A&M to move to 9-2 on the season.
The Bulldogs have struggled a bit since sweeping Texas A&M, winning just six of their last 11 games.
As a team Fresno State is hitting .291, led by four regulars with an average over .320. Taylor Ward leads the Bulldogs, hitting at a .366 clip and smashing our four home runs as well as a team-best 22 RBI. One portion of the Fresno State offense that will be challenged in TD Ameritrade Park Omaha is the long ball. The Bulldogs have hit 12 home runs this season.
On the mound the Bulldogs will shift Derick Velazquez to a starting role for the first time this season in the series opener. Veglazquez has a 1.45 ERA in 10 appearances out of the pen.
As a unit, Fresno State has a 2.91 ERA abd have given up just 70 walks in 201 innings.