Women’s Tennis Falls at No. 25 Nebraska in Season Opener
LINCOLN, Neb. – The Creighton women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 contest to No. 25 Nebraska at the Cornhuskers’ Nebraska Tennis Center on Tuesday.
Playing under new experimental rules this season, doubles has been shortened from an eight-game pro-set to one six-game set. In addition, singles matches will no longer be played as a full best-of-three, but with a first-to-10-points tiebreaker played in lieu of a third set.
Nebraska (1-0) opened the match by sweeping the doubles point. Creighton (0-1) junior Jennie Hartjes and freshman Katherine Nelsen fell 6-0 at the No. 1 slot to Nebraska’s Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna.
The Cornhuskers clinched the point on doubles court three as CU junior Liz Vermillion and sophomore Sam Anderson came up short, 6-3, against Nebraska’s Maike Zeppernick and Izabella Zgierska. At the No. 2 slot the Huskers won by the same score to complete the sweep as Lisa Andersson and Brittany Brewster defeated Creighton senior Analese Snyder and junior Amanda Noonan.
With a 1-0 lead the No. 25 Cornhuskers proved to be too much for the Bluejays on the singles courts. Zeppernick started the Huskers off with a 6-0, 6-1 decision over Anderson on court five. NU’s Brewster moved past Vermillion 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4 singles to give the Huskers a 3-0 lead.
Nebraska’s Andersson clinched the team match point with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Noonan at No. 6 singles. On court three CU’s Nelsen fell in straight sets to Hanna 6-1, 6-2.
On court two Snyder dropped a 6-2, 6-1 decision to Zgierska. In the day’s final match Hartjes fell 6-4, 6-0 to No. 63 Lehmicke at No. 1 singles.
The Creighton women’s team will stay on the road for its next match at UMKC on Jan. 31.
Creighton at No. 25 Nebraska
Jan 21, 2014 at Lincoln, Neb.
(Nebraska Tennis Center)
#25 Nebraska 7, Creighton 0
1. No. 63 Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Mary Hanna (NU) def. Katherine Nelsen (CU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Brittany Brewster (NU) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Sam Anderson (CU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Lisa Andersson (NU) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Lehmicke/Hanna (NU) def. Hartjes/Nelsen (CU) 6-0
2. Andersson/Brewster (NU) def. Noonan/Snyder (CU) 6-3
3. Zeppernick/Zgierska (NU) def. Vermilion/Anderson (CU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,4,6*,3,2,1)