Women's Tennis Drops Match at Iowa
IOWA CITY, Iowa (Feb. 9) - The Creighton women's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision at Big Ten foe Iowa Friday evening in Iowa City.
The match marked the second straight Big Ten opponent that the Bluejays (0-2) battled on the road to begin the season. The host Hawkeyes jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after claiming the doubles point.
On court two, the Creighton tandem of sophomore Jennie Hartjes and sophomore Liz Vermillion dropped an 8-1 decision to Iowa's Katie Zordani and Christina Harazin. At No. 1 doubles, CU senior Anna Kirshenbaum and freshman Sam Anderson also fell 8-1 to the Hawkeye duo of Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch.
With the doubles point clinched, action stopped on doubles court three with the CU team of sophomore Amanda Noonan and junior Analese Snyder trailing Iowa's Annette Dohanics and Caitlin Hindmarsh at 6-3.
The Hawkeyes (2-1) carried the momentum into the singles competition where Iowa swept all six matches in straight sets.
Three Jays won five games in their singles match including Snyder in the No. 2 slot, Noonan at No. 4 singles and Taylor Koehrsen on court No. 6.
Creighton hosts its first match at home next weekend against North Dakota on Feb. 16 at 6 p.m.
Creighton at Iowa
Feb 08, 2013 at Iowa City, Iowa
(Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex)
Iowa 7, Creighton 0
1. Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) def. Sam Anderson (CU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Taylor Koehrsen (CU) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: Not available
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (IOWA) def. Kirshenbaum/Anderson (CU) 8-1
2. Zordani/Harazin (IOWA) def. Hartjes/Elizabeth Vermillion (CU) 8-1
3. Dohanics/Hindmarsh (IOWA) vs. Snyder/Noonan (CU) 6-3, unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 1