LINCOLN, Neb. (Jan. 22) - The Creighton women's tennis team fell 6-1 at No. 17 Nebraska Tuesday afternoon to open the 2013 spring dual match season.
The Bluejays (0-1) opened the year with one singles win in a tough road environment at No. 17 Nebraska (2-0). The host Cornhuskers jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after claiming the doubles point with a three-match sweep before claiming five of six singles contests.
At No. 1 doubles, CU senior Anna Kirshenbaum and freshman Sam Anderson fell 8-2 to Nebraska's Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova. On court two, the Creighton tandem of sophomore Jennie Hartjes and freshman Karlin Naslund dropped an 8-3 decision to NU's Maike Zeppernick and Janine Weinreich to give the Huskers the point.
In the No. 3 doubles slot, the CU team of sophomore Amanda Noonan and junior Analese Snyder came up short at 8-4 to Nebraska's Izabella Zgierska and Maggy Lehmicke.
The Bluejays struggled to win games on the singles courts as Nebraska players surrendered two games or fewer in five of the six matches.
Nebraska's Zeppernick claimed the first singles point with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over CU sophomore Liz Vermilion on court six. On court three, Kirshenbaum fell 6-1, 6-1 to Weinreich to give NU a 3-0 lead. Anderson dropped a 6-1, 6-0 decision on court four to Lehmicke, who claimed the team match point with the win.
Noonan secured a point for Creighton at No. 5 singles after Zgierska retired from the match after taking a tight first set at 7-5. Hartjes later fell 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 singles to Weatherholt to put Nebraska up 5-1. On court two, Snyder suffered a 6-0, 6-1 result to Veresova to end the day.
Creighton takes a couple of weeks off from competition until its next match against another Big Ten foe when the Bluejays travel to Iowa City, Iowa, to take on Iowa Feb. 8.
Creighton at No. 17 Nebraska
Jan. 22, 2013 at Lincoln, Neb.
(Nebraska Tennis Center)
No. 17 Nebraska 6, Creighton 1
1. Mary Weatherholt (NEB) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Janine Weinreich (NEB) def. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) def. Sam Anderson (CU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Amanda Noonan (CU) def. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) 5-7, retired
6. Maike Zeppernick (NEB) def. Liz Vermilion (CU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 3, 4*, 5, 1, 2
1. Weatherholt/Veresova (NEB) def. Kirshenbaum/Anderson (CU) 8-2
2. Zeppernick/Weinreich (NEB) def. Hartjes/Karlin Naslund (CU) 8-3
3. Zgierska/Lehmicke (NEB) def. Noonan/Snyder (CU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3