Jays face SW Minnesota State in Lone Exhibition Game
OMAHA, Neb. -- The Creighton women's basketball team are providing a special Halloween treat as the Jays play their lone exhibition game of the 2012-13 season against SW Minnesota State at 5 p.m.
• Creighton is playing its only exhibition game of the year against SW Minnesota State, a Division II program that participates in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference.
• Creighton is playing just one exhibition game for the sixth time in the last seven seasons. CU played in a closed door scrimmage at Iowa for the third straight season on Saturday, Oct. 27.
• Creighton received one vote in the preseason AP Poll on Oct. 27. It is the first time the Creighton has received votes in the AP Poll since March 10, 2003.
• The Bluejays were picked to win the Missouri Valley Conference in the preseason poll. The Bluejays received 26 of 40 first places votes to total 383 points
• Bluejay junior guard Carli Tritz was selected as the MVC Preseason Player of the Year.
• Creighton is 15-0 in exhibition games under head coach Jim Flanery and the Jays have not lost a preseason game since 2000 - a streak of 18 straight wins.
• Creighton went 9-4 at D.J. Sokol Arena last year and is now 33-9 all-time in its new home. The Bluejays have won all three exhibition games played at D.J. Sokol Arena, topping UNO in 2009, Northwest Missouri State in 2010 and Rockhurst in 2011.
• Four Bluejays scored in double figures in CU’s 83-26 exhibition win last year, led by 14 points from Ally Jensen.
• Creighton returns four of five starters from the 2011-12 season, including over 90% of the teams total offense. The only departure was DaNae Moore, who averaged 4.5 ppg and 3.7 rpg.
• Creighton opens the regular-season Saturday, Nov. 10 by hosting the Oklahoma Sooners.
Scouting the Bluejays
The Bluejays are picked to win the Missouri Valley Conference for the fourth time in school history ... The Bluejays are coming off a 20-13 season, their fourth 20-win season in the last five years. Junior Carli Tritz, the 2012 MVC Preseason Player of the Year, is expected to lead the Bluejays this season after posting team highs in points (462), assists (121), steals (64) and field goals (170) last year ... Tritz and senior Ally Jensen were named co-captains this season ... Junior Sarah Nelson returns to anchor the posts for the Jays. She led Creighton with 251 rebounds in a breakout sophomore season. Nelson was a two-time MVC Player of the Week and led the Bluejays. She led Creighton in scoring nine times last season and led the Jays in rebounding in 22 contests ... CU’s 2012-13 roster includes three freshmen, including local product Brianna Rollerson (Central HS).
Scouting the Mustangs
SMSU is coming off a 6-20 season, including a 5-17 record in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference ... SMSU third-year head coach Allison Kruger has 15 players on this year’s roster with eight returning letterwinners and three starters ... The Mustangs welcome back four of their top five scorers and three of their top five rebounders from a season ago ... Junior guard Bree Holleman is the team’s top returning scorer from last season, starting 25 games and averaging 10 points per game and connecting on a team-high 47 3-point field goals.