OMAHA, Neb. – The Creighton men’s tennis team dropped a tight 4-3 match to Portland State inside the Hanscom Tennis Center on Wednesday afternoon.
Portland State (3-12) utilized the doubles point to secure the tight win after splitting the six singles matches with Creighton (8-4) at the three apiece.
Creighton senior Billy Paluch and freshman Jake Norman took the first doubles match on court one, 8-4. But the Vikings battled back to take the other two doubles matches on the other two courts to secure the first match point.
Paluch extended his all-time combined wins record at Creighton with a 6-1, 6-2 singles victory in the top spot to even the score at 1-1. PSU’s Wil Cochrane doubled up Norman 6-4, 6-4 on court three to put the Vikings back up 2-1 in the match.
CU freshman Aaron Chalstrom used three sets to knock off Abhinav Mishra of PSU 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 to tie the match back up at 2-2. The Bluejay sophomore Quinn Dippel put CU up again 3-2 with a strong three-set comeback win over Viking Ian Risenhoover on court four, 3-6, 7-6, 7-6.
But Portland State swept the final two singles matches of the day that also went the distance on courts two and five to secure the 4-3 victory.
Creighton returns to action this Saturday when they host Chicago State for a non-conference battle at Hanscom.
Portland State at Creighton
Mar 26, 2014 at Omaha, Neb.
(Hanscom Tennis Center)
Portland State 4, Creighton 3
1. PALUCH, Billy (CU) def. STELMASZAK, Kacper (PSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. WHEELER, Brent (PSU) def. BAKER, Elliot (CU) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6
3. COCHRANE, Wil (PSU) def. NORMAN, Jake (CU) 6-4, 6-4
4. DIPPEL, Quinn (CU) def. RISENHOOVER, Ian (PSU) 3-6, 7-6, 7-6
5. MARX, Alec (PSU) def. LANG, Harrison (CU) 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
6. CHALSTROM, Aaron (CU) def. MISHRA, Abhinav (PSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
1. PALUCH/NORMAN(CU) def. WHEELER/RISENHOOVER (PSU) 8-4
2. COCHRANE/STELMASZAK, Kacper (PSU) def. NYSTED, August/BAKER (CU) 8-6
3. MISHRA/MARX (PSU) def. LANG/THOMPSON, Nick (CU) 8-5