OMAHA, Neb. - The Creighton softball team opens its 2014 home schedule on Wednesday, March 19 at 4 pm against Wichita State. The Bluejays head to Indianapolis this weekend to face Butler in the BIG EAST opener.
- Creighton is 15-10 on the season after going 11-1 in a span of seven days at the Rebel Spring Games, contested in Winter Haven, Fla.
- The Bluejays will open their 2014 home schedule with a single game against Creighton's former Valley rival, Wichita State at 4 pm on Wednesday, March 19.
- Creighton opens its first as a member of the BIG EAST conference this weekend as the Bluejays travel to Indianapolis for a three-game series with the Butler Bulldogs.
- Becca Changstrom tossed her first no-hitter of 2014 as she was 3-0 in four appearances at the Rebel Games. The senior hurled the first Bluejay no-hitter since 2011 with her seven-inning, 11-strikeout showing against Army on Friday. Changstrom recorded double-digit strikeouts in three-of-four appearances last weekend, boasting a 0.30 ERA and allowing just one extra-base hit, earning her first BIG EAST Pitcher of the Week Award.
- Ellen Homan returned from an ACL injury in Florida to lead Creighton with a .382 average, including 13 hits. Homan now leads Creighton in hitting percentage (.375) on the season.
- Liz Dike continued to provide a power bat for Creighton, smacking two home runs in Florida to raise her season total to a team-best five. She also leads the Bluejays in RBI with 17.
- Changstrom is the anchor of the Bluejay pitching staff, tossing 92.2 innings already. Four other pitchers have combined to throw 73.1 frames.
- Creighton is in its first season in the BIG EAST after a long run in the Missouri Valley Conference. The Bluejays were picked second in the preseason poll, trailing only DePaul. Last season Creighton was picked fourth in the preseason MVC poll, but would go on to win the regular-season title.
- After the Butler series, Creighton will begin an extended home stretch playing nine straight and 13-of-16 in the state of Nebraska.