The weekend series with Arkansas State will be the eighth meeting between the Red Wolves and Bluejays. Creighton leads the overall series, 4-3, including victories in three of the last four.
About Arkansas State
- Located in Jonesboro, Arkansas
- Arkansas State has an enrollment of 23,263.
- Known as the Red Wolves.
- Arkansas State finished 2013 with an 28-31 record and an 12-18 mark in the Sun Belt League.
- Arkansas State returns three field starters from its 2013 season.
- The Red Wolves were picked to finish seventh in the 10-team Sun Belt League.
Arkansas State Head Coach: Tommy Raffo
- Record of 148-149-1 in seven seasons with the Red Wolves.
- Raffo became the fifth head coach in the history of the ASU baseball program after serving as an assistant coach at Mississippi State for 15 years.
- During his time at Mississippi State, he served as the hitting and outfield coach for a Bulldog program that made three trips to the College World Series. Under his direction, the Bulldogs posted a team batting average of .300 or better in eight of his final 11 seasons.
Scouting the Red Wolves: (2014: 6-6, 0-0 Sun Belt)
Arkansas State opened the season with a three-game series sweep of Miami (OH) in Jonesboro, Ark. Since then the Red Wolves have earned victories over Illinos State (14-8 on Feb. 23), Southeast Missouri State and Alabama-Birmingham (5-3 on March 2).
The Red Wolves pitching staff is anchored by Bradley Wallace, a preseason All-Sun Belt selection. Wallace has a 3.21 ERA in three starts this season. However, has has only thrown 14.0 innings in his three appearances.
Like the Bluejays, the Red Wolves rely on their bullpen, getting 61 innings out of the pen.
Offensively the Red Wolves look to Zach George to ignite things as he leads the team with a .382 average and a team-high 14 runs scored. Matt Burgess is asked to anchor the middle, hitting .357 with a team-best 14 RBI.
Bluejays vs. Central Arkansas Series
Creighton and Central Arkansas have met five times, with the Bluejays holding a 4-1 series edge. Creighton won the last three meetings as the Bluejays swept a three-game series in Conway, Ark., during the 2012 season.
About Central Arkansas
- Located in Conway, ArkansasKansas has an enrollment of 11,783.
- Known as the Bears.
- Central Arkansas finished 2013 with an 42-22 record and an 12-15 mark in the Southland Conference.
- Central Arkansas returns three field starters from its 2013 season.
- The Bears were picked to finish sixth in the 12-team Southland Conference.
Central Arkansas Head Coach: Allen Gum
- Record of 97-85 in four seasons at Central Arkansas.
- Overall record of 323-153 in nine seasons at Central Arkansas and Southern Arkansas.
- Led UCA to the NCAA Tourament last season, earning the automatic berth with a 5-1 run through the Southland Tournament.
Scouting the Bears (2014: 6-4, 0-0 Big 12)
After dropping three of its first four games, Central Arkansas has rebounded with six wins in seven contests.
The Bears enter a weekend series with Memphis on a three game winning streak, downing North Dakota twice and Illinois State (W, 7-0 on March 1).
Coming off a weekend series, both teams are likely to play Tuesday’s game as a bullpen outing. The Bears have a team ERA of 3.90 with 46 walks and 69 strikeouts. Central Arkansas turns to Ben Anchell in closing situations. The right handed junior has two saves in three appearances, allowing just one hit in 2.2 innings.
At the play the Bears hit .262 as a team, led by Doug Votolato (.375) and Tyler Langley (.333). The duo have 28 of UCA’s 87 hits on the season and have combined to score 19 of the Bears’ 66 runs. Langley also leads UCA with12 RBI in 2014.
Bluejays and Red Wolves will “Hang their Hats in Tennessee”
Due to the effects of a winter weather storm, the Creighton Baseball team’s weekend series at Arkansas State (March 7-9) has been relocated to Millington, Tenn. from March 8-10.
The series will now be played at USA Baseball Stadium in Millington, Tenn., current home of Southwest Tennessee Community College. In addition, the start of the series has been pushed back to Saturday, March 8 with the first game slated to begin at 6:30 pm, Sunday’s game will start at 1pm and the series finale will take place on Monday, March 10 at 5 pm
Down 6-0 entering the sixth inning at Charlotte on Friday, Feb. 28, senior Brad McKewon took center stage in Creighton’s seven-run rally.
The Bluejays’ leadoff man, McKewon opened the sixth with a single to center. After coming around to score on a bases loaded walk, McKewon delivered again with a single and a run scored in the seventh.
Down 6-5 entering the ninth, McKewon went to work once more, opening the ninth with an infield single and eventually scoring the game-tying run.
Creighton earned the 7-6 win with a run in the tenth.
Warren Delivers Again
Sophomore Matt Warren is Building a case to become the Creighton ace, as he posted the best start for a Bluejay in 2014 allowing one run in six innings on Saturday, March 1. Warren moved to 2-0 on the season as he led Creighton to a 3-1 win, allowing one run on four hits and one walk.
Murray Enjoys Being Home
An Omaha native, Brett Murray spent his freshman season at Hill JC in Texas. The outfield/DH joined the Bluejays proir to the 2013-14 year and has opened the spring red hot. Through nine games, Murray leads the Bluejays with a .393 average, (11-for-28) with four doubles and a .526 slugging percentage.