PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Creighton women's basketball team looks to get back on track as the Bluejays battle Providence at 1 pm (CT) in Rhode Island on Saturday, Jan. 11.
Creighton vs. Providence:
Creighton and Providence will meet for the second time on Saturday, Jan. 11. The last meeting came on March 21, 1987 in the WNIT Tournament. Creighton won the contest, 91-89, in Amarillo, Texas.
Series with Providence
Home: 0-0 Away: 0-0 Neutral: 1-0
Date Result Score/Site
3/21/87 W 91-89 in Amarillo @
@ - WNIT Tournament game
- Located in Providence, Rhode Island
- Founded in 1917.
- Providence has an enrollment of 3,810.
- Known as the Friars.
- Providence finished 2012-13 with an 7-23 record and a 2-14 mark in the BIG EAST.
- Providence returns seven letterwinners from last season, including two starters (Iiskola and Rule).
- The Friars were picked to win finish eighth in BIG EAST in the preseason poll.
Providence Head Coach: Susan Robinson Fruchtl (Penn State, 1992)
- Record of 12-32 in two seasons as a head coach at Providence.
- Overall mark of 86-115 in seven seasons, the first five coming at Saint Francis.
- Led Saint Francis to the regular-season and Northeast Conference (NEC) tournament titles in 2011, earning NEC Coach of the Year honors at the completion of the 2011.
- Robinson Fruchtl spent eight seasons as an assistant coach at Penn State University (1993-98, 2004-07).
- An All-American and Wade Trophy recipient, she closed her playing career with 2,253 points.
Scouting Providence (5-9, 0-3 BIG EAST)
After opening the season 4-1, Providence has struggled since. The Friars have lost eight of their last nine, including four in a row. Providence’s last contest was a 91-71 loss at DePaul on Jan. 8.
Despite their struggles, Providence boasts a strong starting five led by four players averaging double-figures. Junior Tori Rule leads the way for the Friars, with 16.3 ppg, while Alexis Harris is just behind at 14.5 ppg.
In BIG EAST play, Harris has seen her numbers jump to 19.3 ppg, while Rule is down to just 9.0 ppg.
Providence has struggled on the boards in confernece play as the Friars have been outrebounded by 4.7 per contest.
Keys to the Game w/Providence:
- Execute on Offense: The Bluejays performance against St. John’s in the first half was difficult at best (4-of-21 in the first half, with 11 turnovers). Creighton must focus on its own execution to be successful.
- Combat Harris: In BIG EAST play the Friars best option has been forward Alexis Harris. Coach Flanery is edept at taking away an opponent’s best weapon, thus the Bluejays will try to neutralize Harris.
- Take Advantage of the Boards: Creighton should be able to win the rebounding battle, that must translate into points for the Bluejays.
Now on the Mic, MC McGrory
Freshman MC McGrory continues to battle her way back from an early season concussion, McGrory scored her first points as a Bluejay on Jan. 8, nailing a three-ball from the top of the key in Creighton’s loss at St. John’s.