Men's Tennis Falls at Southern Illinois
CARBONDALE, Ill. - The Creighton men's tennis team fell 7-0 at Southern Illinois Friday afternoon at the Salukis’ University Courts.
Creighton (7-8, 0-3 MVC) could not claim a point against host Southern Illinois (12-3, 3-0 MVC). SIU swept the trio of doubles matches to take an early lead before clinching all six singles matches.
CU seniors Sean Mathison and Ryan Norman led the Bluejay effort. At the top singles spot Mathison took seven games from SIU’s Brandon Florez in a 6-4, 6-3 setback. At the No. 2 spot, Norman pushed Saluki Jorge Cavero to extra games in the first set before falling 7-5. Cavero carried that momentum into the second set for a 6-1 victory. SIU also claimed the other four singles matches in straight sets.
Creighton returns to action this weekend for its final home matches of the season against Bradley on Saturday and versus Illinois State on Sunday.
Creighton vs. Southern Illinois
Apr 12, 2013 at Carbondale, Ill.
Southern Illinois 7, Creighton 0
1. Brandon Florez (SIU) def. Sean Mathison (CU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Jorge Cavero (SIU) def. Ryan Norman (CU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Badr Cherradi (SIU) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jonny Rigby (SIU) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Martijn Admiraal (SIU) def. Brandon Lee (CU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Rafael Cuadrillero (SIU) def. Anthony Rauschenbach (CU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Florez/Admiraal (SIU) def. Norman/Nick Thompson (CU) 8-1
2. Cherradi/Rigby (SIU) def. Mathison/Lee (CU) 8-1
3. Cavero/Szymon Opieczonek (SIU) def. August Nysted/Baker (CU) 8-1