LINCOLN, Neb. - The Creighton women's tennis team fell 7-0 to No. 64 Wyoming at the Abbott Sports Complex in Lincoln Friday afternoon.
Sophomore Jennie Hartjes led Creighton (1-5) at the No.1 singles spot. She claimed the first set from Wyoming's Veronica Popovici before dropping a three-set match in the final match of the day.
Wyoming (3-2), standing at No. 64 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings, won the doubles point and followed by sweeping five singles matches in straight sets before Popovici clinched the match on singles court one.
The Cowgirl duo of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova opened the day with an 8-1 win over CU senior Anna Kirshenbaum and junior Analese Snyder at No. 1 doubles. Wyoming swept the other two doubles matches by a score of 8-4. Hartjes and freshman partner Sam Anderson fell to Wyoming's Jessica Parizheron and Silviya Zhelyzkova on doubles court two. The pairing of Creighton sophomores Amanda Noonan and Liz Vermillion came up short against Christa Gecheva and Alma Espinosa of UW on doubles court three.
Prior to Hartjes' result on singles court one, Snyder captured seven games on court two in a setback to Synkova. Noonan and Vermillion each claimed six games in their singles matches on courts four and six, respectively.
Creighton returns home to face South Dakota at noon on Wednesday at the Hanscom Tennis Center.
No. 64 Wyoming vs. Creighton
Feb 22, 2013 at Lincoln, Neb.
(Abbott Sports Complex)
No. 64 Wyoming 7, Creighton 0
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Simona Synkova (WY) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Silviya Zhelyzkova (WY) def. Sam Anderson (CU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Alma Espinosa (WY) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 4, 3, 2, 6, 1
1. Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. Kirshenbaum/Snyder (CU) 8-1
2. Parizher/Zhelyzkova (WY) def. Hartjes/Anderson (CU) 8-4
3. Gecheva/Espinosa (WY) def. Noonan/Vermillion (CU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2