Rebel Spring Games Schedule Sun. March 9 vs. UMass-Lowell (1-3) Winter Haven, Fla. 9 am Sun. March 9 vs. Bucknell (2-7) Winter Haven, Fla. 1 pm
Mon. March 10 vs. South Dakota (8-5) Winter Haven, Fla. 10 am Mon. March 10 vs. Bucknell (2-7) Winter Haven, Fla. 12 pm
Tues. March 11 vs. Indiana State (7-5) Winter Haven, Fla. 10 am Tues. March 11 vs. Utah Valley (0-13) Winter Haven, Fla. 12 pm
Thurs. March 13 vs. Saint Peter’s (1-3) Winter Haven, Fla. 8 am Thurs. March 13 vs. Siena (1-3) Winter Haven, Fla. 10 am
Fri. March 14 vs. Howard (0-0) Winter Haven, Fla. 8 am Fri. March 14 vs. Army (5-8) Winter Haven, Fla. 10 am
Sat. March 15 vs. Albany (2-2) Winter Haven, Fla. 8 am Sat. March 15 vs. South Dakota (8-5) Winter Haven, Fla. 10 am
• Creighton is 4-9 on the season after going 0-3 in Tulsa last weekend at the Tulsa Invitational. This week, Creighton will play 12 games in a span of seven days at the Rebel Spring Games, contested in Winter Haven, Fla. Creighton will play Bucknell and South Dakota twice each, and one game apiece against UMass-Lowell, Indiana State, Utah Valley, Saint Peter’s, Siena, Howard, Army and Albany.
• At the current time, there is no confirmed live stats or video for any of the games. Should that change, info will be updated on GoCreighton.com as well as via the school’s Twitter site.
• Creighton returns to the Rebel Spring Games for the second straight year. Last year’s team went 6-2 in eight games from March 9-13, defeating Saint Francis, North Dakota, Butler, Youngstown State, Farleigh Dickinson and Army to go with losses against Eastern Illinois and Robert Morris. Creighton outscored teams 29-10 in the eight games. The Bluejays hit nine home runs while in Florida, including four from Bri Lingl.
• Blair Lowe leads the team with 12 hits and a .293 batting average, while Liz Dike tops the club with three home runs, eight runs and nine RBI.
• Senior pitchers Alexis Cantu and Becca Changstrom are tied for the team lead with two wins each inside the circle. Cantu paces the team with a 1.98 ERA, while Changstrom leads the team in starts (7), complete games (7), saves (1), innings (48.0) and strikeouts (52).
• Becca Changstrom has completed all seven games she’s started in the circle this spring, and each of her last 34 starts dating to a Feb. 8, 2013 game vs. Florida. Against the Gators, she allowed five earned runs in 4.1 innings before giving way. She has completed 75 of her 92 career starts.
• Six Creighton players have started all 13 contests this year, Liz Dike, Alexis Cantu, Blair Lowe, Bri Lingl, Jen Daro and Kelsey Allender. A year ago four women started all 47 games, a group that included Cantu, Lowe and Allender. In addition, Lingl (45 starts) and Dike (46) were also regulars in the starting nine.
• Creighton is hitting .182 through 13 games, scoring 32 runs on 56 hits so far. By comparison, last year’s club was 8-5 after 13 games and had 56 runs on 100 hits on .292 batting, while the 2012 team had 96 runs and 119 hits while hitting .333 en route to an 8-5 mark through 13 contests.
• Creighton is 4-for-14 (.286) in pinch-hitting situations this year, as Cassie Sharon is 3-for-5 and Alex Millspaugh is 1-for-2. Last season Creighton’s pinch-hitters went 11-for-58 (.190), led by seven pinch-hits from Blake Ringle.
• Liz Dike homered twice in Creighton’s season-opener, and had three round-trippers overall in the opening weekend in Tempe, Ariz. Dike owned 11 homers in 100 combined games during her freshman and sophomore seasons, and last year didn’t hit her third home run until April 13th in CU’s 34th game.
• Creighton is in its first season in the BIG EAST after a long run in the Missouri Valley Conference. The Bluejays were picked second in the preseason poll, trailing only DePaul. Last season Creighton was picked fourth in the preseason MVC poll, but would go on to win the regular-season title.
• After this week’s play, the Bluejays will finally return home, hosting a March 19 non-conference game against Wichita State. BIG EAST play starts on March 22nd with a weekend series at Butler.
SB: Providence at Creighton (5/3/14)
SB: DePaul at Creighton (4/18/14)
Creighton meets Villanova in a 16 inning thriller on the softball diamond.