Women's Tennis Ends Season with a 4-2 Setback to Providence
NEW YORK – The seventh-seeded Creighton women’s tennis team suffered a 4-2 setback to the No. 8 seed Providence on day two of the BIG EAST Women’s Tennis Championship at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Friday.
Creighton (11-10) dropped the doubles point to Providence (5-16) to open the match. The Friars then took three of the five completed singles matches to claim the team match point.
On doubles court two CU senior Analese Snyder and junior Amanda Noonan dropped an 8-2 match to Alana Prinos and Hannah Zangari. PC captured the first team point at No. 3 doubles as the Creighton tandem of junior Liz Vermillion and sophomore Sam Anderson dropped an 8-4 decision to PC’s Jennifer DeLuca and Amanda Pitocco.
The Friars jumped out to a 2-0 lead when Prinos defeated Snyder on singles court two 6-3, 6-0. CU junior Jennie Hartjes nabbed the Bluejays’ first point at No. 1 singles with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Maria Bernardez.
Providence held off the Jays with a win on court six as Pitocco toppled Vermillion 6-2, 6-4 to make the score 3-1 in favor of the Friars. Anderson registered another point for the Jays with a 6-4, 7-6 victory at No. 5 singles to close Creighton to within one in the match at 3-2.
On court three DeLuca of Providence came back from down a set to edge CU’s Nelsen in a third-set tiebreaker 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 to clinch the team match point at 4-2.
The result marks the final match of the year for the Bluejays.
#8 Providence vs. #7 Creighton
Apr. 25, 2014 at Flushing Meadows, New York
(USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center)
#8 Providence 4, #7 Creighton 2
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Maria Bernardez (PC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alana Prinos (PC) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Jennifer DeLuca (PC) def. Katherine Nelsen (CU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (2)
4. Amanda Noonan (CU) v. Karen Ramirez (PC) 6-7 (4), 6-1, 3-1 did not finish
5. Sam Anderson (CU) def. Olivia Hogan (PC) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
6. Amanda Pitocco (PC) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Bernardez/Ramirez (PC) tied with Hartjes/Nelsen (CU) 6-6 did not finish
2. Prinos/Hannah Zangari (PC) def. Snyder/Noonan (CU) 8-2
3. DeLuca/Pitocco (PC) def. Anderson/Vermillion (CU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,1,6,5,3*)