Men's Tennis Falls to No. 62 St. Johnís, 6-1
OMAHA, Neb. – The Creighton men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to No. 62 St. John’s in the squads BIG EAST Conference play debut inside the Hanscom Tennis Center on Thursday afternoon.
Junior Elliott Baker led Creighton (9-5, 0-1 BIG EAST) with a 6-3, 6-4 singles win at the No. 2 spot over Vaidik Munshaw of St. John’s (11-6, 2-0 BIG EAST) for the Bluejays’ lone team point. He also teamed up with sophomore August Nysted to claim the Jays’ only doubles match on court two over the nationally ranked Red Storm pairing of No. 74 Erick Reyes and R.J. Denunzio by a score of 8-4.
No. 62 St. John’s swept the other pair of doubles matches on courts one and three to earn the first team point and go ahead 1-0.
The Red Storm then moved out to a 3-0 lead after singles victories at the Nos. 4 and 5 positions before Baker’s straight-sets win made it 3-1 in favor of the visitors. SJU clinched the team match point in the next completed match on court six.
CU senior Billy Paluch’s match at No. 1 singles was the only match that went the distance. After trading sets of 6-4 with Denunzio the pair moved into a third set at 2-2. After the contest was decided the action moved to a third-set tiebreaker with Denunzio coming out on top at 10-5.
Creighton returns to action this Saturday at 10:00 a.m. CT against IPFW tentatively scheduled for the Koch Tennis Center, weather permitting.
St John's vs. Creighton
Apr 03, 2014 at Omaha, Neb.
(Hanscom Tennis Center)
#62 St John's 6, Creighton 1
1. RJ Denunzio (SJU) def. PALUCH, Billy (CU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
2. BAKER, Elliot (CU) def. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Robert Livi (SJU) def. NORMAN, Jake (CU) 7-6, 6-1
4. Federico Ruiz (SJU) def. DIPPEL, Quinn (CU) 6-2, 6-3
5. MJ Every (SJU) def. LANG, Harrison (CU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Gary Kushnirovcih (SJU) def. CHALSTROM, Aaron (CU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Lucas Hejhal/Munshaw (SJU) def. PALUCH/NORMAN (CU) 8-7 (7-3)
2. NYSTED, August/BAKER (CU) def. Erick Reyes/Denunzio (SJU) 8-4
3. Every/Ruiz (SJU) def. LANG/THOMPSON, Nick (CU) 8-3
Order of finish: Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,5,2,6*,3,1)