The setback Creighton (7-3) snapped a five-match win streak by the Jays. Valparaiso (12-3) posted its fourth shutout in a row.
Due to rain delays, both teams agreed to play both doubles and singles until the point and match were decided.
The teams opened with doubles play as Valparaiso won the point with victories on courts two and three. CU senior Billy Paluch and freshman Jake Norman were in a tight one-point match at No. 1 doubles when the point was called for Valpo.
In singles, the Crusaders claimed three singles wins at the Nos. 2, 5, and 6 spots. CU’s Baker fell 6-2, 6-3 on court two. Bluejay freshman Harrison Lang dropped a 6-1, 6-1 decision while classmate Aaron Chalstrom suffered a 6-1, 6-3 setback.
The other three singles matches went unfinished with Paluch leading at No. 1 singles. Norman and sophomore Quinn Dippel also were still on the court when match point was called.
The Creighton men’s tennis team will stay in Florida this week and will face Wesleyan on Thursday.
Valparaiso vs. Creighton
Mar 12, 2014 at Star Island Resort
Valparaiso 4, Creighton 0
1. Billy Paluch (CU) vs. Jeffrey Schorsch (VU) 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
2. Dave Bacalla (VU) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jake Norman (CU) vs. Michael Savaglio (VU) 2-6, 6-4, 0-1, unfinished
4. Quinn Dippel (CU) vs. Kyle Dunn (VU) 3-6, 2-3, unfinished
5. Charlie Emhardt (VU) def. Harrison Lang (CU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Michael Baiocchi (VU) def. Aaron Chalstrom (CU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Norman/Paluch (CU) vs. Bacalla/Daniel Oakes (VU) 5-6, unfinished
2. Schorsch/Emhardt (VU) def. Baker/August Nysted (CU) 8-4
3. Baiocchi/Dunn (VU) def. Nick Thompson/Lang (CU) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,5,2)