Men's Tennis Falls to Iowa, 7-0
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The Creighton men's tennis team suffered a 7-0 defeat at the hands of Iowa on Friday, Feb. 28. The loss dropped the Bluejays to 2-2 on the season, while Iowa moved to 6-2.
Creighton seemed poised to open the match by taking the double point as junior Elliott Baker and sophomore August Nysted earned an 8-4 win at the No. 2 doubles slot. Senior Billy Paluch and freshman Jake Norman drew ahead 7-6 at the top doubles spot, but Iowa's tandem of Brian Alden and Micahel Swank evened the match at 7-7 and went on to take the tiebreaker, 7-4.
Baker was also the most successful Bluejay in singles competition, pushing Alden to a second set tiebreak before falling, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5). Sophomore Quinn Dippel also gave a strong effort at the No. 5 singles position, falling to Iowa's Matt Hagan, 6-3, 6-2.
Creighton returns to action on Friday, March 7 as the Bluejays host Kansas Wesleyan at 12:00 pm, then host North Dakota at 3:30 pm.
University of Iowa 7, Creighton 0
Feb 28, 2014 at Iowa City, Iowa
(Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex)
Doubles competition (Iowa wins doubles point, 2-1)
1. Brian Alden/Michael Swank (IOWA) def. Billy Paluch/Jake Norman (CU) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Elliott Baker / August Nysted (CU) def. Jonas Dierckx/Juan Estenssoro (IOWA) 8-4
3. Matt Hagan/Joey White (IOWA) def. Harrison Lang/Nick Thompson (CU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1);
1. Jonas Dierckx (IOWA) def. Billy Paluch (CU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Brian Alden (IOWA) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Juan Estenssoro (IOWA) def. Jake Norman (CU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Dominic Patrick (IOWA) def. Harrison Lang (CU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Matt Hagan (IOWA) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Michael Swank (IOWA) def. Aaron Chalstrom (CU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: Singles (5,3,6,4,1,2)