OMAHA, Neb. - The Creighton women's basketball team hosts its lone exhibition match of the season on Monday, Nov. 4 as the Bluejays battle the Fort Hays State Tigers at 7 p.m. in D.J. Sokol Arena.
- Creighton received votes in both the Preseason AP (21) and USA Today Coaches (10) Polls.
- Creighton returns 80% of the starting lineup that closed 2012-13 (Fujan, Janning, Nelson & Kamphaus).
- Senior Carli Tritz announced the end of her playing career in early October due to chronic knee pain.
- Senior Sarah Nelson led the NCAA in assists (115) by a post player last season.
- Nelson was one of 30 WBB athletes named as a semifinalist for the Senior Class Award.
- Marissa Janning became the first Bluejay to earn a Freshman All-American honor (Full-Court) following the 2012-13 season.
- Senior McKenzie Fujan and junior Alexis Akin-Otiko ended 2012-13 with impressive free throw streaks. Fujan hit her last 26 consecutive from the charity stripe, while Akin-Otiko has made 18 straight.
- Senior Alyssa Kamphaus will face former Seward HS teammate Beth Bohuslavsky
- Creighton downed Southwest Minnesota State, 90-60, in its lone exhibition contest last season.
- Creighton hit a program-high 302 three-pointers last season.
- Creighton finished 2nd in the NCAA with 9.2 three-pointers per game.
- The Bluejays are coming off the first back-to-back appearances in the NCAA Tournament in school history.
- In each of the last two seasons, the Bluejays faced a BIG EAST team in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. Falling to St. John’s (69-67) in 2012 and defeating Syracuse 61-56 in 2013.
- The Bluejays are a combined 1-3 against BIG EAST opponents under head coach Jim Flanery. (0-1 vs. St. John’s; 1-2 vs. Marquette).
- Head coach Jim Flanery became Creighton’s all-time wins leader in 2012-13, surpassing Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen. Flanery enters 2013-14 with 215 wins.
- Matt Fritsche & Chevelle Herring joined the WBB coaching staff.
- Junior Alexis Akin-Otiko was reunited with her high school coach Matt Fritsche.