Creighton (7-10, 0-5 MVC) could not manage a point against Illinois State (9-14, 2-3 MVC). The Redbirds opened the day by sweeping all three doubles matches to claim the doubles point and a 1-0 lead.
Senior Ryan Norman led the Jays in his final home match. Norman lost a tight two-set match at No. 2 singles after pairing up with freshman Nick Thompson for CU’s best doubles result of the day. Norman fell 6-4 in the first to Illinois State’s Jacob Wilson on court two. The Redbird edged Norman in a tiebreaker at 7-6 to claim the point.
Fellow senior Sean Mathison played at No. 1 singles in his final match as a Jay. Illinois State’s Erik Brunskog claimed a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Mathison at the top spot.
Classmate Billy Paluch was unable to play on senior day due to an early-season injury.
Illinois State claimed the other four singles matches in straight sets.
Creighton now prepares for the MVC Team Championships that begin Friday at Wichita State. The Bluejays will be the No. 6 seed next weekend.
Illinois State vs. Creighton
Apr 21, 2013 at Omaha, Neb.
(Koch Family Tennis Center)
Illinois State 7, Creighton 0
1. Erik Brunskog (ILS) def. Sean Mathison (CU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Jacob Wilson (ILS) def. Ryan Norman (CU) 6-4, 7-6
3. Jakub Eisner (ILS) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 7-5, 6-0
4. Rolando Torrellas (ILS) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Muddappa Appanervanda (ILS) def. Brandon Lee (CU) 7-6, 6-3
6. Michael Sellitto (ILS) def. August Nysted (CU) 6-4, 6-2