Women's Tennis Upended at Evansville
Creighton (8-11, 1-6 MVC) notched a point at No. 1 singles against Evansville (10-10, 3-4 MVC). UE claimed two out of three doubles contests before taking five of six singles matches.
Senior Anna Kirshenbaum and freshman Sam Anderson teamed up to defeat Kelsey Costales and Emily Richardson of Evansville at the No. 2 doubles spot but the Purple Aces won the other two doubles contests to claim the double point for an early 1-0 lead.
CU sophomore Jennie Hartjes led the Bluejays with a singles victory at the top spot. Hartjes won a pair of close sets over UE’s Natasha James 6-4, 6-4 on court one.
Junior Analese Snyder went the distance at the No. 2 singles spot before dropping the match to Marketa Trousilova of Evansville. Snyder opened with a 7-5 set one win but dropped the second stanza by a score of 6-2. The Purple Ace kept the momentum in the third-set superbreaker to claim a point at 10-5.
UE swept the other four singles matches in straight sets.
Creighton now prepares for the MVC Team Championships that begin Friday at Wichita State. The Bluejays will be the No. 7 seed next weekend.
Creighton vs. Evansville
April 21, 2013 at Evansville, Ind.
Evansville 6, Creighton 1
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Natasha James (UE) 6-4, 6-4
2. Marketa Trousilova (UE) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 5-7, 6-2, 10-5
3. Marina Moreno (UE) def. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Mina Milovic (UE) def. Liz Vermillion (CU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Gaby Fifer (UE) def. Amanda Noonan (CU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Kelsey Costales (UE) def. Taylor Koehrsen (CU) 6-1, 6-1
1. James/Trousilova (UE) def. Hartjes/Noonan (CU) 8-1
2. Sam Anderson/Kirshenbaum (CU) def. Costales/Emily Richardson (UE) 8-6
3. Fifer/Moreno (UE) def. Snyder/Karlin Naslund (CU) 8-2