OMAHA, Neb. -
The Creighton men's tennis team fell 7-0 at Wichita State in Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) action at the Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex Friday afternoon.
Creighton (7-6, 0-2 MVC) was unable to claim a point against Wichita State (12-6, 1-0 MVC). WSU earned the doubles point and later claimed all six singles matches in straight sets.
The Shockers, a nationally-ranked team in early March, swept the three doubles matches to begin the day and jumped out to a 1-0 lead. WSU carried that momentum into singles play.
Creighton senior Ryan Norman led the Bluejays on the day. At No. 1 doubles, Norman and freshman Nick Thompson put together CU’s best effort in an 8-4 downfall to the Shockers’ duo of Matheus Pereira and Tin Ostojic.
Norman also led the Bluejays in singles by claiming five games at the No. 2 spot in a 6-2, 6-3 setback to WSU’s Ilija Cuic.
CU freshman Quinn Dippel grabbed four games at No. 4 singles, falling to Tomislav Gregurovic of Wichita State 6-2, 6-2.
Creighton returns home for its next match against UMKC scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Koch Family Tennis Center. Creighton vs. Wichita StateApr 5, 2013 at Wichita, Kan.(Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex) Wichita State 7, Creighton 0Singles
1. Matheus Pereira (WSU) def. Sean Mathison (CU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Ilija Cuic (WSU) def. Ryan Norman (CU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Tin Ostojic (WSU) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Tomislav Gregurovic (WSU) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Guillermo Nicol (WSU) def. Brandon Lee (CU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Erick Reyes (WSU) def. Anthony Rauschenbach (CU) 6-0, 6-1 Doubles
1. Pereira/Ostojic (WSU) def. Norman/Nick Thompson (CU) 8-4
2. Reyes/Cuic (WSU) def. Mathison/Lee (CU) 8-1
3. Gregurovic/Nicol (WSU) def. Baker/August Nysted (CU) 8-2