OMAHA, Neb. - The Creighton men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 23 Drake to open Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) play at the Hanscom Tennis Center Saturday afternoon.
Creighton (6-5, 0-1 MVC) managed to claim the final point of the day against the nationally-ranked Bulldogs. Drake (19-2, 1-0 MVC) opened the day by sweeping the doubles point and later claimed five of six singles matches in the victory. The loss marked the first of the season for the Bluejays at home where they now stand at 4-1 in 2013.
Creighton’s Sean Mathison made his career debut at the No. 1 singles position against No. 123 James McKie of Drake. The senior dropped the first set to McKie 6-1 before the Bulldog closed out the match 6-2 in the second.
Bluejay senior Ryan Norman also faced a ranked player in No. 122 Alen Salibasic at No. 2 singles. The Bulldog claimed a straight-set victory 6-0, 6-3.
CU freshman Quinn Dippel claimed four games against Drake’s Ben Mullis in a 6-1, 6-3 downfall at No. 4 singles.
Creighton’s Anthony Rauschenbach claimed the final point of the match against Ryan Drake of DU in three sets on court six. The freshman topped Drake 6-4 in the first set before the Bulldog came back to win 6-3 in the second. Rauschenbach claimed the third-set superbreaker 10-7 to secure the win.
Creighton concludes a three-match home stand when it hosts Hastings at 5:30 p.m. CT Tuesday.
No. 23 Drake vs. Creighton
Mar 30, 2013 at Hanscom Tennis Center
#23 Drake 6, Creighton 1
1. No. 123 James McKie (DU) def. Sean Mathison (CU) 6-1, 6-2
2. No. 122 Alen Salibasic (DU) def. Ryan Norman (CU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Robin Goodman (DU) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Ben Mullis (DU) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Grant Tesmer (DU) def. Brandon Lee (CU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Anthony Rauschenbach (CU) def. Ryan Drake (DU) 6-4, 3-6, 10-7
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1*, 5, 4, 6
1. Goodman/ Jean Erasmus (DU) def. Norman/Nick Thompson (CU) 8-3
2. McKie/Mullis(DU) def. Mathison/Lee (CU) 8-3
3. Drake/Tesmer (DU) def. August Nysted/Baker (CU) 8-7 (7)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3