ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. - The Creighton men's tennis team suffered a 5-2 setback to Fairfield in a neutral-site match in suburban Orlando Monday.
Creighton (3-3) won a pair of singles matches but Fairfield (6-2) swept the top four singles matches and won the doubles point to secure the win.
CU senior Sean Mathison paired up with freshman August Nysted to an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles over Cameron Amyot and Bjorn Merinder of Fairfield. The Stags swept the other two doubles matches as Dennis Zlobinsky and Ofir Solomon edged the CU duo of senior Ryan Norman and freshman Nick Thompson 9-7 on court one. On court two Fairfield's Erik Kremheller and George Tioutine toppled the Bluejay pairing of sophomore Elliott Baker and freshman Brandon Lee 8-3.
Four of the singles matches went a full three sets in a competitive match. Bluejay freshmen won two of them. At No. 5 singles, freshman Quinn Dippel won the first set over Amyot 6-2 before a 6-3 downfall in set two. Dippel secured the win in a tight third set at 7-5. Fellow CU freshman Anthony Rauschenbach dropped the first set to Merinder 6-1 but came back to take the final two sets at 6-4 and 6-1 on court six.
The Stags took the other pair of three-set matches. Zlobinsky slipped past Mathison at the No. 2 slot. Mathison took the opening stanza at 6-4 but the Zlobinsky forced a deciding set with a 6-3 set two win. In the final set Zlobinsky won in a third-set tiebreaker at 10-8 to claim the match at 7-6. CU's Baker won the opening set over Tioutine at 6-2. But the Fairfield foe claimed set two in a tiebreaker at 7-6 to force a third set. The final stanza was as tight as the second as Tioutine won the set in extra games at 7-5.
Fairfield swept matches at the No. 1 and No. 4 positions in straight sets. Norman fell 6-4, 6-2 to Kremheller at the top spot while Lee suffered a 6-2, 6-4 setback to Solomon.
Creighton returns to action Tuesday with two neutral-site matches against Saint Ambrose and Robert Morris in Orlando, Fla.
Fairfield vs. Creighton
March 11, 2013 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
Fairfield 5, Creighton 2
1. Erik Kremheller (FAIR) def. Ryan Norman (CU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Dennis Zlobinsky (FAIR) def. Sean Mathison (CU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (10-8)
3. George Tioutine (FAIR) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
4. Ofir Solomon (FAIR) def. Brandon Lee (CU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Quinn Dippel (CU) def. Cameron Amyot (FAIR) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
6. Anthony Rauschenbach (CU) def. Bjorn Merinder (FAIR) 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. Zlobinsky/Solomon (FAIR) def. Norman/Nick Thompson (CU) 9-7
2. Kremheller/Tioutine (FAIR) def. Baker/Lee (CU) 8-3
3. Mathison/August Nysted (CU) def. Amyot/Merinder (FAIR) 8-3